Need Pro Tool help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Clef_de_fa, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I have worked on a recording today and now that I have finished it I removed the metronome click and to listen to the final product then I discovered that everywhere I did a punch-in I can hear a loud "click" sound . So we can hear like 6 or 7 loud click because I couldn't do it in one take ...

Is there a way to remove that lick sound or ( like I fear ) I'll have to redo all 4 voices in one take ?

thank all
  2. Chromer

Chromer

Some options:

1. Redraw the waveform where the clicks are.
    2. Draw some fader automation over the clicks to duck/mute them?
    3. Cut the clicks out, copy and paste a tiny bit of audio from another place in the track over it.
    4. Cut the clicks out, time-stretch the audio on either side into the gaps.
  3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

OK thanks, I'll have to try them tomorrow.
  4. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

So you just have choppy places where the audio comes in and out, right? It's not the actual sound of a click track? Highlight each region where you want to crossfade from one to the next (Apple + F, I think. I'm not in front of Pro Tools right now).

Once you've applied the fades to each region, you can hit F7 to get to your editing tools. Pull the heads and tails of each waveform out until you hear the pops disappear.

If you're really, really, really stuck, send me a message and maybe I can help you with it.
  5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Ok so I tried to use the fade option or the trimming and well, it doesn't make it go away.

For the record, the metronome or click track is muted.

From what I can tell, let say beat 4 of mesure 9 has little bit of the sound of the next note on beat 1 of mesure 10 on it, so by punching-in at beat 1 mesure 10 the two sounds clash and this is what that make the click noise.

I did trimming but I can only trim a complete beat not just a 16th of it.

So, I think I'll have to work on each track until I can play the part without any mistake in one take.
  6. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Set the grid to a smaller amount or turn of grid-snap. You can actually zoom into as small as One-Sample.
  7. kent1113

kent1113 Supporting Member

Just came upon this in a Pro Tools tutorial.

the narrator says ideally at the beginning of a region the volume is basically zero and then you have a note. If your note is already formed and isn't starting at zero, Pro Tools will click. He used a fade in at a very close zoom view to eliminate the click.

Probably not explained well but this might help you.
  8. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Thanks all ! Really appreciate it ! Saddly I think my version isn't good enough and I'll have to update it because I couldn't like trim the last 16th of beat 4 in a mesure, I could only remove the whole beat.

I also tried to remove the click with a fade but it never completely get rid of it.

So I think I'll have to redo everything in 1 take.
  9. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

Check your edit mode. Sounds like you're in grid mode. Change to slip mode instead.