1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need recommendations for inexpensive P style bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geni758, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

I would like to get an inexpensive P style bass with a jazz style neck. I would like to spend no more than $200.

So far I'm looking at Squier, Peavey, Ibanez and Fernandes. Are there other brands/models that you guys would recommend?
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

SX / Rondo? They seem to have stuff in the sub-$200 range. They get a lot of love here on TB
  3. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

SX at rondomusic.com
  4. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Made In America Peavey Fury! The best P bass you'll find for under $600. And they normally go for $150 - 200.
  5. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

Bach Jaybird (tsjechisch based company)
  6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

The Squier STD series Precision has a J style neck and PJ pickups. Great basses for the money. I keep buying them, and then people keep buying them from me ! overall a good value. This is the one I currently have that I got for a great price...

Attached Files:

7. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

Definetly a Peavey Fury. Massive P tone, Made in America with a J sized neck. I got mine for $130.00 and easily worth 3 times that in value, tone and playability.
  8. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    This. :bassist:
  9. FourBanger

FourBanger

Don't ignore my post. Dean Hillsboro 09. Basic P tone with the thinner neck you want and better wood and hardware than the others mentioned. $200. Done.
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

To be a little more specific, it's called a Precision Bass Special. Sadly they've been discontinued, along with the rest of the Squier Standard line. Nowadays they're a bit rare, but finding a used one isn't impossible. They usually go for somewhere between $200 and $250.

Personally, I really dig mine…love it to pieces, in fact. Then again, it was my pewter P-Bass Special that tipped me over into I'm-gonna-buy-a-bass-mode, so I am a bit biased. :D

[​IMG]
  11. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Disclosures:
    Yes, this douchebag just posted again
    I'm a third vote for SX. Check out and see if they have any specials and pull the trigger on that bad boy!
  12. TwoRivers

TwoRivers Supporting Member

Another vote for the American made Peavey Fury here. Can't say enough good about this bass!
  13. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

SX or Peavey vote.
  14. petey293

petey293

Those Peaveys really are great for what they're going for nowadays. I played a Forum, which is similar to the Fury with the addition of a J pickup, and I loved it
  15. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Um...no. The Dean is worth consideration, but definitely not better wood and hardware than a Peavey USA Fury. And the higher priced SX P's are very nice too.
  16. FourBanger

FourBanger

I was not considering used instruments in my advice.
  17. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core Supporting Member

I thought I saw a used Gamma in the classifieds I highly recommend you look and buy if its a P even if its a J....even if its used.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Hard to beat an SX if you're looking for new.
  19. oldrookie

oldrookie

Another very happy Peavey Fury owner here. Great bass.
    Did a custom refinish on mine.
    [​IMG]

I've owned a couple of SX basses (like the blue one in the picture,) and I like them, but the Peavey gear stays.

The Fury is an '89 and I have an '83 Foundation. The neck is marginally thicker on the Fury, but it is closer to the jazz neck that you said you wanted than any of the SX basses I have owned.

Careful shopping at local pawnshops and I have less than $200 invested in both basses. Can't believe the quality bass you get with the old Peavey gear. Not a fan of the made-overseas Peavey stuff, but the older USA stuff rings the bell.
  20. Davo-London

Davo-London

MIJ CIJ MIJ CIJ

Can't go wrong

IMHO
    Davo