1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need Replacement Horn for Eden 115XLT

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rajprods, Dec 5, 2013.

1. rajprods

rajprods

I'm trying to help a bassist replace a blown tweeter in the 115XLT cabinet. He doesn't want to replace it with the stock tweeter; he wants a traditional horn.

Has anyone done this before? If so, can you provide the specifics as to which horn, parts, mods, etc., were required to do this successfully? Thanks.
  2. rajprods

rajprods

Does anyone have any recommendations?

3. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Eden used an actual horn in that cab. It's a Fostex (Foster) 025H27 with a custom gold painted bell housing. If I were him I'd just fix the existing horn. You can buy a replacement diaphragm for them cheap and you're all set to go.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

MuthaFunk is right.
    Diaphragms are about $20.00 and easy to install.
    Google it.
  5. rajprods

rajprods

I contacted Eden asking for suggested replacements. Here is the reply I got:

Thanks for your request. we only recommend using the stock Gold tweeter in this unit. We can help you order one. This is part number USM-SPKR-70022 and you can order one with tubesandmore.com. Email them this part number and they can help you place an order for it.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  7. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    If no sound comes from the horn tweeter, I would be looking at the fuse protection bulb in the crossover first, I bet it's just the car type festoon bulb in circuit with the tweeter that's gone.:bassist:
  8. Chef

Disclosures:
    also true^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  9. rajprods

rajprods

The person I'm helping to replace this doesn't want a replacement tweeter.... They want a traditional horn. Not sure what the difference is from a technical standpoint, but the tweeter keeps blowing so they want a horn that will put out more power without blowing.

10. Chef

Disclosures:
    It -is- a traditional horn; and, it's actually a fairly nice one.

If the horn keeps blowing it's diaphragm,
    turn down the attenuator, and don't over-power the cab.
  11. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    This is the part that should protect the horn that's in the cab:
    http://www.edenampsforum.com/index.php?topic=18930.0
    The thing that's blowing the horn is either someone has bypassed the protective bulb and the signal that is being sent to the cab is excessively distorted and the crossover it's self is sending an unusual signal level to the horn because the crossover can't work out that the squared off wave isn't really a much higher frequency and erroneously sends this to the horn. if he is playing with distortion he needs to turn the horn unit down to about a 9 O'Clock.
    All horns sound horrible doing distortion and all will fail at quite low levels if fead it.:bassist:
  12. Chef

Disclosures: