Need Resistance Help!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MrRubi04, Apr 14, 2014.

1. MrRubi04

MrRubi04 Supporting Member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes! I am considering adding a cabinet to my Ampeg PF-500/SVT 410 HLF rig. The cabinet is rated at 4 ohms. Question I have is what would be the best choice of impedance and how would it be wired? I'm looking at a 15" Eminence in an Ampeg cabinet. Eminence has several choices, impedance wise. If I just 'daisy chain' two 4 ohm cab's will that blow up the amp? Obviously, I am really bad when it comes to calculating this - not a tech geek by any means! Any guidance would be helpful - thanks in adva:help:nce!

2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

You are already at the amps minimum rating - cannot add another cab/

Also, the 1X15 + 4X10 is a bad combination, you have nothing to gain to trying to add it.

3. gumtown

gumtown Supporting Member

Need an extra amp, something like a 2 rack unit power amp slaved off the ampeg to run an extra cab.

4. MrRubi04

MrRubi04 Supporting Member

Thanks, guys! It was just a thought because I can get an Ampeg cab locally for about $200 (no speaker) and then just bolt in whichever speaker I choose; but not if the head can't handle it!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

It doesn't work that way.

There is science involved, as the cab is designed around the T/S parameters of the speaker.

7. ggunn

ggunn

Science, yes, but not rocket science. As long as he picks a speaker with similar characteristics to the one it had in it, he will be fine. Exact matching is not critical.