1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Need Resistance Help!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MrRubi04, Apr 14, 2014.

1. MrRubi04

MrRubi04 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes! I am considering adding a cabinet to my Ampeg PF-500/SVT 410 HLF rig. The cabinet is rated at 4 ohms. Question I have is what would be the best choice of impedance and how would it be wired? I'm looking at a 15" Eminence in an Ampeg cabinet. Eminence has several choices, impedance wise. If I just 'daisy chain' two 4 ohm cab's will that blow up the amp? Obviously, I am really bad when it comes to calculating this - not a tech geek by any means! Any guidance would be helpful - thanks in adva:help:nce!

2. You are already at the amps minimum rating - cannot add another cab/

Also, the 1X15 + 4X10 is a bad combination, you have nothing to gain to trying to add it.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. gumtown

gumtown Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Need an extra amp, something like a 2 rack unit power amp slaved off the ampeg to run an extra cab.

5. MrRubi04

MrRubi04 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    Thanks, guys! It was just a thought because I can get an Ampeg cab locally for about $200 (no speaker) and then just bolt in whichever speaker I choose; but not if the head can't handle it!

6. It doesn't work that way.

There is science involved, as the cab is designed around the T/S parameters of the speaker.

7. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Science, yes, but not rocket science. As long as he picks a speaker with similar characteristics to the one it had in it, he will be fine. Exact matching is not critical.