1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need Some Advice On A New Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by superfly8564, Dec 26, 2013.

1. superfly8564

superfly8564

Hey guys and gals. I am hoping to get some feedback here. I lost my practice amp to an electrical surge and it is completely fried. Oh well...it happens. Instead of replacing it with a combo, I am seriously considering just picking up a portable cab. I have always been an Ampeg guy so I currently have an SVT 3 pro (considering the MB 800 tube) and a SVT 410HLF cab. Any thoughts about a second cab that I could use for practice (and maybe smaller gigs) that I could also use as an extended cab (if need be) with the SVT 410 at some bigger venues? I have thought this thing TO DEATH and I just need to hear from the bass brethern to regain some sanity.

To provide some background, I play mostly rock and R&B for my main gigs and dabble with some jazz on the side here and there. I incorporate a lot of slap and thumb into my rock playing to get a dirty, raw kind of sound and I use fingers for most anything else that is solid and in the pocket. I rarely, rarely play with a pick. So that covers it. Anything else, just ask. Thanks in advance for our input.

2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

how about this?

[​IMG]

or for half the price

[​IMG]

3. superfly8564

superfly8564

Thanks Snakeman! I was looking at the AMPEG 210. Wasn't sure if the discrepancy in power from one cab to another would be an issue. I was also looking at the 210 Markbass but I am weird about mixing and matching and the result in overall sound. Considering a 15" as well but it's a long shot.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Is that the MarkBass LM tube 800 or the G-K MB fusion 800?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. superfly8564

superfly8564

Markbass. GK doesn't quite fit my style but oddly enough I love hearing other guys play them in harder bands

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Play the non tube version before committing to that one little non-field replaceable tube version ;)

8. superfly8564

superfly8564

Will do. Thanks for the heads up.

9. wighat

wighat

Many folks (I included) do not recommend mixing cabs. Lots of threads on this subject. If you need more SPL than your 410HLF can provide, it's time to go FOH. Choose your new cab based on its suitability in your "B" rig.

10. superfly8564

superfly8564

Ya know Wighat, I think that is why I posted this thread. There is nothing that makes sense to me to accommodate both scenarios. However, I do not consider myself a gear head by any stretch so I appreciate the feedback form the guys like yourself here on TB. I am leaning toward a Markbass 210 cab for the smaller stuff and will keep the Ampeg Classic for those "tweener" gigs where I can avoid DI and still fill the room.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Another thing to consider, the SVT410hlf is a 4 ohm cab, and all the amps mentioned are 4 ohms minimum. So, impossible to "add-on" to that, at all.

12. superfly8564

superfly8564

Wow!! I can't believe I missed that. I was only thinking about what I could and couldn't do with the head. I have been noodling so many options (including dumping the 410HLF for a lighter rig) that I just breezed past it. Thanks for pointing that out. Much appreciated. I guess there is such a thing as overthinking things