1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need some advice on mic splitting for DIY stage vocal monitors:

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BWB, Oct 10, 2013.

1. BWB

BWB

Situation:

Popular, LOUD, local club we play at regularly has a 1000 watt PA system, good acoustics, good sound people. The band is loud, the club attendees are loud, it is what it is.

The sole vocal monitor, for reasons unknown, is mounted on the ceiling about 5 feet back from the stage, pointed downward ... but it's pointed at the back wall above our drummers head. Despite our and the sound guys' best efforts, we cannot make this be heard well on stage. It's a problem for both vocals and saxophone monitoring.

I've decided what we need is to run the vocal and sax mics to monitor amp(s) on stage to run our own monitor system, and split the signal off to the house to be fed into the PA. Sound guys at the club are laid back and agreeable (I haven't asked them if they care, but I've played there enough to be sure whatever we want to do ourselves is OK).

Question is, how is this best accomplished? Mic splitters? What and how? I was intending to use a small 100w multi-channel head for the monitor amp, but an output from it to the house is not feasible I think because all I'm going to have is only a single output available instead of individual mics.

I've also got a 16 channel board (passive). Individual mics in > amp > monitor system with independent outputs from the board into the house?

Help me suss this out. I've got about 4 weeks before our next date there to put it together.

2. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Im just the BASS player.....

3. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

The easiest wAy would be to be to bring your own small powered monitor and daisy chain it off the overhead monitor or run the mics into your own speaker and give the sound guy the line out.

4. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

The sound guy might not like the second of those choices.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Crafter of XBass cables
    Rolls MS 20c - pretty slick and it isolates too.

The MS20c Splitter / Combiner / Isolator will split a single balanced XLR signal into two isolated signals, combine two balanced XLR signals together into a single, or simply isolate a balanced line for buzz or hum elimination. Please note that when combining two condenser microphones, phantom power voltage is passed to only one of the microphones due to the internal isolation transformer.

[​IMG]

7. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The easiest way would just be to take a daisy chain off of the current monitor and chain through your monitors.

8. WayneP

WayneP

It’s hard to determine from your post if you’re merely trying to get whatever’s going to the house monitor speaker heard on stage, if you need additional instrumentation in that monitor that isn’t there now, or if you need additional monitor mixes instead of just the one.

However, if this is what you think you need...
    ...you can use your 16-channel mixer with the Rolls isolated splitter ExaultBass mentioned. Alternately, if your mixer has balanced direct outputs for the individual channels (like the Mackie 1604 VLZ has, for instance, as seen in the top right corner of this picture), you wouldn’t need the isolation / splitter boxes.

Using direct outputs from a small mixer on stage would be the “cleanest” option, from a “less cabling” standpoint. You’d only need one cable for each input, plus one from that channel to the stage snake head. If you have to use a splitter box, you’d need three cables for each input to the stage mixer.

Regardless, using a mixer on stage would give you the option of numerous monitor mixes, as many as you have amplifier channels for.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The sound crew should be able to send a monitor mix to the stage.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Yeah, you would think.. A couple of decent powered boxes on the floor and shut off the thing on the ceiling...

11. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

Wow, that's a good one, on the ceiling?? I believe feedbacks are at their home

12. morgansterne

morgansterne

I played in a little club with the same setup. So small that they mounted the monitor on the ceiling to save floor space. We did not have any problems with feedback, but we did have problems hearing the vocals!

perhaps a powered monitor with a parallel output would work. plug in one vocal, and send the FOH your mic signal??
    Note the "link ouput" jack!
    oh no, it's a behringer