1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

need some advice on this rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Precision345, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Precision345

Precision345 Supporting Member

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I would imagine it will sound pretty darn good. G-K 400RB or 800RB into an Ampeg 810 is a classic. Beat him down on the price though.
  3. Precision345

He says that one of the speakers is blown so it's an 7 x 10 i guess hehe
    Also says price is negotiable. I may offer him $500 and see what he says. Most I would pay is $600
  4. B-string

Up there it will probably cost around $80-100 to recone the one bad speaker so use that in your price negotiations?
  5. Precision345

I could just order a new speaker also, no? Playing it with just the 7 speakers will damage it further?
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Last recone I had done cost me $30 but I took the speaker in, this was a modern Ampeg though, not a vintage so I do not know if they would be more.

The price is fair, although in the ad he seems to think it should be higher. Your numbers are exactly what I would offer.
  7. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Not so likely to further damage the other drivers but it could hurt the amp driving it if the damaged driver causes the total impedance to fall below the amp's recommended minimum...

IMHO any cab with a blown driver (no matter how many other drivers in the same cab are good) is not ready for live use. If this cab has a blown driver it will need to be repaired or replaced before it is gig ready. IMHO, YMMV.
  8. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Is that a flatback 810?
  9. Precision345

I'm not sure. I think it is. I hope it has wheels, I haven't been to the gym in like 6 months lol...
  10. Precision345

I would definitely like to scoop it up and get it fixed.
  11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

the bad driver will NEED to be rec-coned or replaced BEFORE the cabinet is put to live use. With an open voice coil, the cone acts as a passive radiator and the loading on the other drivers goes way off. You will need to carefully inspect each of the driver cones looking for any signs of damage. If you find any issues they will need to be addressed.
  12. B-string

I know I went on the high side as I really don't have a clue on costs up there :)

I personally would recone to keep the date codes the same for all speakers in the cab. Recone replaces all but the metal basket and magnet assembly.
  13. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

The eyes are old and the brain a bit befuddled but I gotta toss this out. I'm looking real hard at that cab and it looks like a slantback.(i.e. newer model) I am NOT positive about this but that what it looks like to me. I think that the 72 cabs were all flatbacks, (Sheesh , where is Jimmy M when we really need him?) Also , that does not look like an original grill cloth on there and I see no Ampeg logo either. Like i said , that's not a great pic and I might be totally mistaken about this but check these things out to be sure.
  14. RnBass

RnBass

Unless you have a strong back (or roadie support) and the need for such a huge cabinet, I wouldn't pay more than $500 for the set. Everyone around here seems to be getting smaller amps with more output and small, but efficient, speaker cabs.

The local used market is flooded with big cabs and old amps. PA support makes huge cabs largely unnecessary for most of us ...
    :bag:
  15. Precision345

It's a flat back, no ampeg logo, talked to owner on the phone already.
  16. Precision345

I'm on the fence about this rig. RnBass made a very good point about weight and size
  17. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Hehehe I'm 61 years old and the only thing I take on stage these days is an SVT classic and an 8 10 cab. They can gripe all they want about the weight and how big they are but I still haven't found anything that SOUNDS better and I like to sound good. Maybe they should go to the gym once in a while and they might sound good too.;)
  18. Precision345

what would be some things to look for?
  19. Precision345

But how do you get it there in your wheelchair??!?
  20. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

If he is still schlepping a fridge and an SVT to every gig at 61yo I wouldn't mess with him...