Need some advice upgrading a short scale jazz!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Hi all,

So, i've owned 6 or so 'Jazz' basses over the years... MiM, MiJ, Squier, and Peavey... But, i've ended up selling every one of them.

2 years ago, i gave in to spontaneity and bought an SX Shortscale Jaguar bass (J/J) and actually fell in love. The scale is great, the neck is awesome, the body is solid and VERY aesthetically pleasing.

I strung it with some La'Bella short scale flats and so it's been for the past few years.

I've been playing it a lot again, recently, and when compaired to my P bass, and my Bronco... the output is just not up to par.

So do i:
    a. Change the strings (if so, to what?)
    b. Change the pickups (if so, to what?)

Any help, suggestions, ideas would be much appreciated!! :bassist:

2. philtoler

philtoler

when you say "output" what do you mean exactly?

3. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

My bass semantics might be off, but...

It seems to be a half volume, and half sustain issue.

On my P and Bronco (both also strung with flats), when i play a note (volume/tone knobs on full), it rings out and has what i consider a normal volume.

When i play the Jag (vol/vol/tone knobs on full), the volume is about 3/4's of the other basses, and it's sustain decays much quicker (relative to the P and Bronco).

4. philtoler

philtoler

The volume can vary widely due to all sorts of reasons - pickup config and string height being the main ones. If the string heights are correct according to maker's recommendations I wouldn't worry too much about output. Is the tone good compared to your other basses when you adjust the pre-amp so that there is no difference in volume between all of them? Check all screws - I make a point of tightening them even when new - bridge and neck especially have an impact on sustain.

5. Register to disable this ad