1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need some advice upgrading a short scale jazz!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Hi all,

So, i've owned 6 or so 'Jazz' basses over the years... MiM, MiJ, Squier, and Peavey... But, i've ended up selling every one of them.

2 years ago, i gave in to spontaneity and bought an SX Shortscale Jaguar bass (J/J) and actually fell in love. The scale is great, the neck is awesome, the body is solid and VERY aesthetically pleasing.

I strung it with some La'Bella short scale flats and so it's been for the past few years.

I've been playing it a lot again, recently, and when compaired to my P bass, and my Bronco... the output is just not up to par.

So do i:
    a. Change the strings (if so, to what?)
    b. Change the pickups (if so, to what?)

Any help, suggestions, ideas would be much appreciated!! :bassist:

2. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    when you say "output" what do you mean exactly?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. My bass semantics might be off, but...

It seems to be a half volume, and half sustain issue.

On my P and Bronco (both also strung with flats), when i play a note (volume/tone knobs on full), it rings out and has what i consider a normal volume.

When i play the Jag (vol/vol/tone knobs on full), the volume is about 3/4's of the other basses, and it's sustain decays much quicker (relative to the P and Bronco).

5. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    The volume can vary widely due to all sorts of reasons - pickup config and string height being the main ones. If the string heights are correct according to maker's recommendations I wouldn't worry too much about output. Is the tone good compared to your other basses when you adjust the pre-amp so that there is no difference in volume between all of them? Check all screws - I make a point of tightening them even when new - bridge and neck especially have an impact on sustain.