1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need some cabinet advice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by waxyvibes, Mar 29, 2014.

1. waxyvibes

waxyvibes

Hello all. Been lurking the forum for a few weeks now after being referred to it by a friend and figured I'd join up.

I'm mainly a guitar player but I just recently started playing bass in a band again and I've been using a SWR 410 rig that is the room rig everyone uses in our rehearsal spot. This new band does a slow/doomy/sludgy type of thing and we tune to C.

Everything was going fine until my guitar player upgraded his rig over the last month. He's playing a Laney AOR head through an Orange cab and it's an insanely heavy, amazing tone. Unfortunately his new sound has just made me seem non-existent in the mix now playing through that SWR rig.

I recently picked up a Peavey Mark VI head (old bass player had one and always loved the sound) for $100 and now I'm just trying to figure out what is the best type of cabinet to pick up using that head to help me blend better with my guitarist. The SWR rig just doesn't seem to have the low end I feel I need to work with our tuning and tone. Even though we tune pretty low I do some runs and things so I want to sound low and beefy but still be able to cut through when needed.

I've been researching on here and it seems like the way for me to go would be either a 215 or 810 cab. Can anyone confirm/deny and/or explain what my best options would be? I'm on a pretty tight budget and will definitely be searching for used gear.

Thanks so much in advance!

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Looks to me like you need:

1) hearing protection
    2) ~900 watts into 4 ohms
    3) 2x410, 610, 810, or a 1515/66 fEARful

3. klokker

klokker

Geez, if you can't keep up with a 4x10 I would think that you might just have to negotiate for some room at the bottom with your guitar genius.

Spending money to "keep up" when you can just eq things a little differently would help you out a lot.

It just seems so unnecessary. A 4x10 really should be enough, IMO as long as you amp is big enough. I wish you the best, negotiating with guitar players can be difficult.

4. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I have a couple Peavey mark 6 heads. wouldn't get rid of them for the world. I have run them through a Peavey 4 10 and they sounded ok. Ran them through an Ampeg 8 10e and they sounded a lot better. Seemed less muddy than the 4 10's.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DogBone

DogBone

Used Ampeg 810 cabs should run about $400 to $500, depending on condition. Just be careful and don't get one that's all jacked up (blown or mismatched drivers or been submerged in water or some other nonsense).

It will be the quickest and cheapest and probably best sounding "loud".

Of course there are cabs that go lower than the Ampeg, and cabs that have horns and tweeter and can go higher, too many to list, but just saying that so you know the Ampeg 810 isn't necessarily the be all end all, just that it's not a bad place to start.

Another option would be an Ampeg 610hlf or 410hlf cab. The 410hlf, believe it or not, seems to be the last word in LOW as far as Ampeg is concerned, so much that is also has a reputation of being just too low. The 610hlf seems to cut a compromise between the thick lows of the 410hlf and the cutting low mids of the 810.

Of course Peavey does cheap and loud very well. You could do a lot worse than scoring a good deal on a Peavey 810 or 215, especially if the 215 is one of the "deep" models, a very well regarded 2 15" cab and if upgraded with some modern high excursion drivers becomes quite a powerhouse.

Okay, enough cab talk - you're real solution is to have a conversation with your guitarist. Sounds like he is either too loud or more than likely eq'ing too low.

Either way, starting a volume war is never a good idea, everyone in the band loses!

7. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I agree completely with posts #2 and #3. However, a used 8-10 should be lurking near you somewhere. Mine was $375 from CL but the tolex was torn up. A used 8-10 may be the cheapest way to level the field (hope you have a strong back). Good luck you are entering a vicious circle we call "volume wars". Try and negotiate a treaty with the guitarist.........

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Your guitar player has awesome bedroom tone, entirely different thing to awesome band tone. If you can't be heard in a rehearsal space with 4x10 it's not for lack of your volume.

9. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

+1

10. waxyvibes

waxyvibes

Thanks for the responses everyone! Definitely appreciate the feedback. You have all confirmed what I read for the most part which has been helpful.

I can assure you that there's definitely not volume war going on at all although that's funny and the first time I've heard of this phenomenon. I'm going to tell him that you guys told me he has to turn down! ;) I've been playing with this same dude for many years and we're very much on the same page so it's not an issue with that. He's still trying to get his new gear dialed in as well so all in all we're just trying to get our tones worked out together. The SWR, even when eq'd differently just doesn't seem to as well with his new setup. He was using an Peavey 5150 setup before and everything worked better together.

But anyway, thanks again everyone!

11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Not volume war then. Tone hogging.

12. Sartori

Sartori

SWR is fairly well known for having a big scoop in the mids, especially the low mids. This could be what you're missing.

I'd use the Peavey through an 810 or 215 cab.

I'd also recommend against a 410HLF cab. They have a lot of low end, and some high end, but not much in between. I had to play through one for a while, and that cab's mid scoop made the whole band sound hollow.

13. waxyvibes

waxyvibes

Interesting and makes a lot of sense.