1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need some feedback guys

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BlacknWhite, Jan 20, 2014.

1. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite

Hey guys just need some feedback. My current rig is a Hartke LH500 in a rack with multi effects, power conditioner and sonic maximizer and run it into an Ampeg SVT 610HLF (600watts). My band gigs a lot and I move my gear on my own as I live in the middle of nowhere lol. The Ampeg 610 is killing my back and have the option to pick up two Ampeg B-410HE (200 watts each). I have never had a rig where my Head over powers my cabs.... With a 500 watt head and two cabs 400 watts in total as long as I'm not running it full out shouldn't be much of an issue?

Thanks in advance!
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Can the amp handle the cabs? I am assuming the cabs are rated for 8 ohms a piece, if they are 4 ohm cabs they will cook that head. I wouldn't imagine it to blow speakers instantly but listen for stressing, pretty much any head can blow any cabinet, all it takes is a poor EQ job.

If you want to save weight I highly recommend tossing the power conditioner (and the BBE, but that is my preference)
  3. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

It's not an issue at all, as long as you mind your impedance total and your amps minimum impedance rating. The power rating on your amplifier and the ones for your cabs are not meant to be matched perfectly as they have different meanings and are measured using different signals.

It looks like your amp is rated to drive a minimum of 4 Ohms, so if you are running your new cabs in parallel then they need to be rated at 8 Ohms minimum each. If they are 8 Ohm cabs then you are good to go and driving them together as a single 400W cab from a 500W amp is absolutely fine. Optimal even because its always better to have more amp than drivers, to a point.
  4. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite

Yeah the head 4ohm minimum and the cabs are 8ohm each. I just like the power conditioner as it gives me the extra power outlets right in my rack, I don't run my head through it.
  5. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite

Yeah the cabs are rate at 200 useable power and 400 peak
  6. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

Then you're good to go. 500W head into 400W cab(s) is a good match.
  7. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Keep in mind that the cabs will have a different voicing-more low mids and less depth. Otherwise, you're good to go!
  8. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite

thanks for the input guys, much appreciated
  9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The setup will be fine.

Another vote here though to ditch the Sonic Minimizer and the glorified powerstrip.

That'll leave you one cord to plug in the wall (the amp), as well as shave off both size and weight from the unit you're using to drive your cabs.....a single 2 or 3 U amp....that's it. Those other stuff are contributing nothing to your tone, IMO.
  10. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite

Haha didn't think I'd get this much slack over the Furman and BBE! I like the furman purely for the fact I can plug in my effects and power my pedal board right from my rack. As far as the BBE I just have it if I am at a gig with crappy acoustics and I'm having trouble cutting through the mix I use it to boost my high end.
  11. Mortom27

Mortom27

I wouldn't trade my 610hlf for nothing, I know it's heavy but hey that's just me
    on a different note: if u like the BBE SM so much maybe u can try the stomp box version, it does wonder for your sound and is light weight.
  12. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite

I know man, I really didn't want to get rid of my 610hlf... love it but my back can't handle it anymore lol. I havn't tried the BBE stomp yet. My rack system does not really bother me though. The 610 is just so awkward to transport by yourself.
  13. Mortom27

Mortom27

I hear you bro, i used to own a 810
    Haul that big fridge around for 4 years
    Untill my back said "enough" Lol
    Good luck with the new set up
  14. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite

Well I got the cabs... And damn they sound sweet and so much easier on my back lol

Attached Files:

15. Mortom27

Mortom27

Sweet!!, are they 8 ohms?, how many watts? (rms)
  16. BlacknWhite

BlacknWhite

Yep they are 8 ohms and RMS is 200 watts each. But I can't really tell the difference from these cabs and my 610 which is rated at 600 watts. So much easier to move around! It was a good choice for sure.