Need some help (Genz Benz)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by michinho, Feb 18, 2014.

1. michinho

michinho

Hi there,

I play a Fender USA standard Jazz Bass through a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 through 1 Focus 4x10.

I'm a bit stuck. Basically my issue is I can't seem to get my bass to sound "punchy" but at the same time "crisp" and "clear". I hear the Shuttle is great for that kind of sound but as much as I tweak I can't seem to get what i'm looking for.

I don't know if this is posted in the right forum? but i'm a little concerned it may be the amp/cab. The amp/cab is fairly new and I haven't had to use it at a gig as of yet, so I have only had it at bedroom level.

I'm looking for that sharp, punchy, clean Jazz bass sound... an example would be Flea's tone on Stadium Arcadium. Or even like this guy is getting in this video my concern is here though is that this guy has everything set flat. Is there something wrong with my set-up? am I doing it wrong in trying to find these sounds? :( Really need some help guys.

I play through a Diamond Bass compressor which is always on as well. I've tried with it off, but the Diamond 100% makes the rig sound better!

Thanks,

Mike

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

A couple of thoughts, first of all Flea's tone with his gear in a large venue includes pa but also "looking flat" may not be flat at all.

On your cabinet, where do you have the tweeter level set?

Try boosting the high mids about 5 clicks with the frequency set to around 800hz and see if this is a step in the right direction.

Beware that using heavy compression can make the mids drop as the compressor keys on the lf signal but compresses the full range signal. This is especially noticeable with bass guitar.

3. vickde

vickde Supporting Member

I generally think of "punch" as 150-200. I played over the weekend on a P bass with old, dead flats into a Shuttle 6.2 driving a 210 (we have a moderate stage volume), and the drummer commented several times on the punchiness of the sound. I had the lows rolled off to 11:00 or so, the mids up to 2:00 at 200, treble up to 1:30, and the low extension and mid cut on.

4. inri222

inri222

Maybe these can help :

5. Register to disable this ad