1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need some help getting the sound I'm looking for...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B Major, Mar 12, 2014.

1. B Major

B Major

So I purchased a new bass just the other day. I got a Warwick Corvette 4 string. Since picking it up, my roommate has been working the overnight shift. Because of this I've been playing it mostly through my headphones, which are connected through the head. So my problem is this: The bass sounds absolutely amazing through the headphones. It really has that unmistakable Warwick sound (the growl and punch of the lows and the cutting clarity of the highs). Conversely, when I play it through the head and cab (no headphones) it sounds good but it does not have the same sound. There is a noticeable difference. I just can't seem to adjust the settings on my head to replicate the tone I get with the headphones. Like I said, the bass is a Warwick Corvette, the head is a TC Electronics BH 250 and the cabinet is a Peavey 115. The TC head only has knobs controlling the volume (obviously), bass, mids, and treble.... Has anyone else had this problem before?? I've only been playing for a short while and this is my 1st real upgraded bass since I began playing on my cheap Ibanez so I have yet to encounter something like this. Please advise!!!! Any and all help would be appreciated. Thx in advance!!!

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

You're listening through stereo headphones so they usually sound better when I play through my computer I love the tone of course I can't play as loud so that's the trade off.

3. bravesaint5

bravesaint5

There are many reasons your headphones sound different than your speakers, but it is not unusual. The volume of air a speaker moves vs. headphones, the size of the voice coils between the two, the focal point change, pre/post-amp differences between the headphone out and speaker out, speaker cable quality, etc... Honestly, I would ditch the Peavey cab in favor of a 2x10 or even a 1x12 of higher quality. The Peavey 1x15 is going to lack the clarity you're probably looking to get out of your Warwick.

4. B Major

B Major

Yea thanks for the advice. I probably won't be able to justify a new cab anytime soon (as I just dropped a pretty penny on the Warwick) but that makes sense. I'll probably just keep tinkering until I can get it as close as humanly possible in the meantime....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bravesaint5

bravesaint5

I completely understand that. It doesn't hurt to keep your eyes on Craigslist to see if anyone is looking for a trade. It's unlikely, but it happens from time to time. Probably best to save your pennies and get what you want. Good luck on your quest, tinkering with tone is fun sometimes.

7. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

+1

The peavey 1x15 is the weak link for the tone you want. Either add a 2x10 (when you can) or trade the 1x15 for a 2x10.
    The peavey 1x15 is great for adding lowend and unless it has a tweeter the cab really does a good job for old school thump but will not have the clarity you are looking for.