Need some help re flatwound strings gauges for a 34" 4 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bedroommuso, Jan 1, 2013.

1. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

I recently acquired an almost new old stock 90s ibanez SR400, and because the frets are immaculate I would like to try a set a flatwounds to minimise wear.

Now I am looking for the right tension/gauge, but the trouble is I have only played a handful of basses and aren't really familiar with the gauges and tensions.

I do have a rough idea of what I like and don't like: I tried the Ernie Ball 50-105 roundwound gauge on another 34" bass and didn't like it that much - a bit too heavy. However, I also recently acquired a cort A4 34" with a really nice gauge on there - trouble is the person I bought it from had no idea what gauge it was.. :spit: It has gold ball ends so I'm guessing it may be Ernie Ball? Possibly 45-95 or 45-100 roundwounds? Other than guessing I have no idea of finding the precise gauge.

I suppose that means I am looking for a low-medium tension set of flatwounds? Does anyone know what gauge I should be aiming for? (I also want to keep the nut stock on this bass). I was thinking possibly 40-100 chromes or something like that? Would that be the sort of tension I am chasing providing my guestimates about the string gauge/tension on my Cort A4 are correct?
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    It will really depend on the flats you go with... 40-95 flats are going to feel heavier than 45-100 flats depending on the brand.

Ultimately you need to decide the kind of tone you want from your flats. Once you know the tone you can pick from the gauges available.
  3. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

Thanks for your reply. To be honest - I don't know much about bass tone yet.. it all sounds pretty good to me ;) I have a fairly simply set up, old peavey amp, gt-6b, two cheap (but good) basses. I couldn't really tell the differences between tone, but I do notice a difference between my active and passive basses (I have one of each)

Because of this, I'm more concerned about feel, tension, ease of playing at this stage being fairly novice bass player. Hope that makes sense.
  4. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

Based on some reading of other threads on here, I was thinking of going with GHS Precision flats 45-95, which appear to be a low (but not the lowest) tension flats available. There also appear to be quite affordable compared to other brands. Good choice? Any other thoughts?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    GHS Precision flats are a good place to start especially if you are going to be new to flats and bass in general.

There are some, and at that price point you can not really go wrong. If you decide you do not like then, on this forum you could sell used flats too!
  7. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Yep, another vote for the GHS Precision flats, for a little more top end might look at their Brite flats.

Big plan of GHS strings overall.
  8. gary m

gary m

GHS, absolutely.
  9. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

Thanks all, GHS flats 45-95 ordered and arrived! Now I just need some time to clean and set up this bloody bass!