Need some input on decision making.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scioto, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Scioto

Scioto

Alrighty.
    I'm looking at two basses right now, the Gibson EB 2014 and the Fender Blacktop P Bass.
    Please don't misconstrue this, as I mean no disrespect, but I don't want a suggestion of another bass and I don't want your opinion of the brand "if you own one of the models I would however like your opinion on the instrument."
    I play everything from Ska and Punk, to funk and metal.
    From what I've heard, the Blacktop P bass excels in all of these and I'm aware of it's less expensive price point. However, a situation has arisen where a friend of mine who had recently purchased a Gibson EB 2014 is selling it a bit cheaper because of budget issues. He's letting it go for $600. I played the Gibson and thoroughly enjoyed it, and I was able to get desirable tones from it, as I was with the Fender. However, the Gibson is able to employ its coil tap capabilities giving it the edge of the Fender in versatility I believe.
    I feel like I know this is a total personal preference on my part, and I may be kind of stupid for asking this however I don't know where else to turn as I've never been this indecisive on purchasing a new bass.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    -Scio

2. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

If you can't decide, get the Gibson for cheap. Resale value is higher, and you always sell it and get the Fender for the same price as now.

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

As far as build-quality goes, I have a Blacktop Jazz, and if it was made by the same "hands" as mine, the Precision should be a pretty darn solid piece of workmanship.

Tone-wise, it sounds like your mind is all but made up, yes?

Putting 'Tone' aside for a moment; which feels better in your hands, in terms of playability, ergonomics, weight, etc…?

Is 'Cost' a factor? The Blacktop should be somewhere around $100 less.

4. Davo-London

Davo-London

Gibson pros: it's rarer, you see far less around, makes a change from Fender etc

Fender Pros: sound man will be your friend, you'll fit in any situation!

Davo

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Scioto

Scioto

Thankyou all for the replies, I didn't think anyone would respond for at least a day.
    It's appreciated, for sure.
    Malak, the Fender feels better to me personally. All of my "or at least 9/10 of my" friends are telling me to go Gibson for the resale value if nothing else, as smeet stated.
    Also, I like the aesthetics of the Fender a lot more as well.
    Weight isn't too much of an issue for either of them, I actually prefer heavier instruments over lighter so I'm not really that picky. And no, cost is not a factor however, you are correct that the Blacktop P bass is around 100 bones cheaper than the Gibson which would be nice and probably get me the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal I'm looking at right now.
    So basically...
    Tone-Gibson
    Aesthetics-Fender
    Playability-Fender
    Cost-Fender
    Resale-Gibson
    I also prefer Fender as a producer of instruments over Gibson.
    If anyone has any recordings or footage of either instrument under the effects of a pedal "Think EHX Metal Muff" I'd be most interested in that as well.