Need some input on this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IGotGas, Nov 27, 2013.

1. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Maybe this is the wrong forum thread for what I'm about to ask, but if want as much input as I can get on this.

So here's the deal. Some if you may know that I have a substantial and somewhat ever evolving collection of basses and guitars. Not to start a Political or Religious discussion, but I personally am compelled to give away quite a few instruments (and other things) each year to those in need. It would significantly simplify said process to do that here in TB. I noticed that another member has done something quite similar in the classified, and I totally applaud and support his actions.

To begin, I've spoken to a Mod and got some ideas on how to do it and comply with our forum rules. Those will be followed no matter what. However, my struggle is as follows:

1. I want to make sure anything given away gets to "the right" person as much as possible(someone REALLY in need, not just grabbing a free bass just for giggles and grins. How do we do that? Have a thread and vote? People contact me, or contact say an pre-established group of members via PM? Other ideas?
    2. I want the gifted instruments to be given out on a totally random basis. So, some of what I'll give away is used but completely serviceable while several other basses will be new. They are all relatively cheap, and acquired through trades or deals on bulk purchases I've made from distributor overstocks, .etc. Maybe I/we/? Can have a drawing once issue #1 is satisfied?
    3. It would really help if, someone is making a need known about another person, the requester (or someone else?) could assist on shipping cost. I'm fully prepared to pay the shipping cost(s) myself, but as you can see, that gets expensive on top of the initial cost of the instruments, etc. Also, due to shipping costs, it may mean we have to limit the scope of this to CONUS shipping(?).
    4. It's important to me that these gifts come from our community and not "me". So, any instruments might have a card or something that says "...from your friends at TalkBass.com".

So I need some ideas on how to execute this. Mainly, issues 1,2, and 3. Please give it some thought so that this can be executed in a smooth manner, and in a way that reflects our forum in a most positive light.

So, what say you?

2. Major Softie

Major Softie

Where do I sign up for whichever bass goes to the person you determine to be least deserving????? :hyper:

It's an interesting proposition. Pretty much everyone here who is "known" suffers from advanced GAS and would be the last people in the world who either need or deserve such generosity, but they certainly are likely to know people who might have such a need. You might want known posters here to "nominate" candidates, much like many community service awards recipients are nominated.

As far as how the random choice occurs, you HAVE to have a drawing and shoot a video to post on YouTube so that we can all see it. It could be hysterical. I wish you lived nearby just so I could help with that part of the project. You could go the scantily clad young lady route drawing out of your tophat as you stand there with tails and cane, or the Monty Python/Soupy Sales creature's paw slowly creeping in from off screen, or any of a number of other possibilities.

3. pgolliher

pgolliher

What about talkbass starting a program that gifts basses and gear to music schools? (Like a scholarship type thing) there are a few "School of Rock" programs around here. Wouldn't it be cool for potential low income students interested in bass to submit an application for review by the TB community and we can help with gear and tuition?

4. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Baaaahahaha great ideas and very creative!! Not sure I'll pull off a very creative drawing this time (I LIVE on the road it seems lately!!) but that's something (the creativity) that should be a yearly thing henceforth!!

I like your idea about voting for a few folks to be a "Steering Committee" of sorts. Let's see what others say or ideas they come up with in regard to this issue?

Great idea! Now, obviously we've not the time for that at this late date (relative to IF we do this as Christmas / Holidays type of thing. But I'm interested in that and it would be good for the bass player community and healthy for our TB crowd. Great thinking!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I second the motion to reach out to School of Rock! :hyper:
    After all, the worst they could do is say, "No".

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I saw that thread in the classifieds too. I think it's a noble idea, but I have some skepticism about doing it over TB, just because of the anonymity of the internet and the possibility of getting scammed. It's hard to imagine how we'd really systematically identify the most appropriate people to give to. I'd suggest looking into where your basses could go locally. Maybe contact schools, or local agencies that could help identify good recipients. Near here the people at St. Vincent de Paul's really are the best connected with the families in need (and I'm not even catholic, that's just the truth).

8. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I don't have any good suggestions as to how to go about it but I applaud your desire to do this and to find a way to make it happen. Bravo!

9. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

I seriously applaud your suggestion. I'm very pleased to see someone giving away their basses rather than having thousands that they don't have use for.

Good luck to whoever receive a bass.

10. pgolliher

pgolliher

There is a school here in Santa Cruz that teaches kids how to play in rock bands and they play concerts and on the local cable tv. The owner is also good about promoting his events in the local paper. We could reach out and discuss a bass scholarship program- we would also get some good press for talkbass. It would be great because there would be video of our student's success.

11. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Bravo Gas!, there are a lot of working musicians on TB, enough that my bet is there is often someone here giging with stuff that's falling apart, and not able to get over the hump for a decent working bass, I do not know how to find out who that is though, I know it would mean the world to that person to have a proper working instrument though.

12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1. It's extremely generous of you!

If it were me, I'd probably try contacting my local music schools (dedicated to ONLY music).

13. Mugre

Mugre

Too much ego and attention mongering by giving it away here. NO ONE here NEEDS another bass. These school of rock places are profit driven enterprises. My son has been to two here on the westside of L.A. Given what they cost and the 40,000$ SUV's I saw the moms driving, these kids don't need another bass either. You could give the instrument directly to a public school program but working in a repair shop, I've seen what these kids do to the donated instruments. We sent 3 fender guitar amps to a local public HS music magnet program that draws from a "needy" neighborhood. Within 6 months all three were inoperable, not because of electronic failure but because pots had been broken off or a speaker kicked in. All three had graffiti scratched into the tolex. We fixed all three and sent them back. A month later, a "needy" kid took one home to "practice" over a weekend. He missed school on Monday. In fact, he never returned to the school because his family moved away that weekend. Here's my suggestion: Unfortunately, it wont make you a hero on TB. Donate the bass to the silent auction of a local public school. Maybe even add a certificate for a first month of lessons, most music schools will donate these anyway to local schools. Now a kid gets a deal on a bass that he just may cherish and take care of; the music school gets a student and the public school gets a hundred or so dollars to use to buy paper towels for the bathroom or as in our local school to pay for their part time arts and music teachers since the district took ours away 5 years ago.

I know I sound kind of cu**y but I hope it may give you pause to think about who you're really trying to serve with this endeavor.

regards,

mugre

14. nurnay

nurnay

Agreed on sending to music schools (or schools in general). +1 for your kindness!

15. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx Previously Thedeadking Supporting Member

I always love the idea of some kid getting a free bass but like mentioned you never really know who is being honest. I personally seen somebody lie on talkbass and got a free bass then try flipping it when they already and had a few basses. You could always sell a bass and donate money.If you have to give it away, the church route might be the safest bet with getting it to somebody who cant afford a bass and would actually take care and appreciate it.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Demand nude selfies from TB'ers girlfriends and spouses. Pick best applicants. Award basses.

17. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

I appreciate your kindness and charity. However, it will be virtually impossible to ascertain need through any mechanism here on TB. Either you or someone in whom you have confidence will need to examine the situation personally.

18. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I appreciate your generosity. I give guitar lessons, and have provided guitars, mostly electric, some acoustic, and amps to most of them. I scrounge instruments others would pass up, repair them, repaint them (if needed), put in appropriate pickups, and set them up to play extremely well and stay in tune. The amps are all practice amps, but are versatile. I get them at thrift stores, pawn shops, dumpsters, and anywhere I can get them cheap. I just gave one student, a 14 year old with Aspergers an electric, pointy head Strat type, that had been smashed into pieces and thrown in a dumpster. It plays like a dream after repair and repaint, and with a Fender practice amp I got for $20 that looks like new, he's thrilled.

One has to "pass it on."

19. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

I'm hoping that on this Thanksgiving day, more folks might chime in on some ideas too. Really great start!!

20. DocGeorge

DocGeorge Gold Supporting Member

There is a music therapy program in San Diego that works with returning Active Duty Wounded. They always are in need of instruments as the ones the usually get donated to them are not in the greatest of repair. They have two facilities, one at Camp Pendleton, Ca and one at Naval Hospital San Diego, Ca. The Therapist are employed through a company called Resounding Joy. I only know because they really helped me.

21. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member