Need some lows

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kully, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Kully

Kully

I'm new to this forum and need some advice,...I play in a country, blues, and classic rock band. I have a Fender Jazz Bass with a Fender Rumble 150 amplifier. I would like to buy a stomp pedal to get more lows and if possible a more tube amp sound. Can anybody give me some advice on a inexpensive way to accomplish this? Thanks! :help:
  2. Swift713

Swift713

Maybe a Behringer BDI21?
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

More lows? Try an octaver or just get an EQ pedal and roll off all the highs. For a more tube amp sound try picking up a tube amp. In my experience only tube amps sound like tube amps, unless you just want to cop the overdrive of pushed tubes, that is do-able.
  4. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

+1
    Have one for sale or trade lol
    But yes this or a vt or sansamp pedal.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    If you're expecting a pedal to magically make your 15" combo into a massive low end machine, you're going to be disappointed. If you're not looking to do pure octave stuff, or subharmonic stuff (like the DOD Meatbox), then I think you should look to upgrade your amp before anything else. There's lots of pedals that can give you nice tube sound from a solid state amp once you're moving enough air.
  7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Am I going to be the only one to suggest that the amplifier is going to be the bottleneck?

Ah good, poster above me beat me to the punch as I was posting.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

More lows needs more speaker capability and turn up the bass knob. No cheap solution. You would be better spending your money on a bigger amp.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

10. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

My suggestion was for tube sounding on SS amp.
    For lows i agree with the others.
  11. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

You're starting at a low end deficit with a jazz bass, too, especially through that amp. A Precision bass would help that low thump quite a bit, though you can definitely get where you need to go with a jazz bass and a bigger amp.
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'm sorry to say, but a new amp is the way to go.

I wouldn't agree with that at all.
  13. jumblemind

When A/B'd through a Fender Rumble 150, which bass when A/B'd is going to feel like it has more thump?
  14. Unrepresented

Media:
    The P will have more low mid emphasis and a hotter output. Some will mistake that for more "lows."
  15. Kully

Kully

Ok, thanks guys! Looks like a new amp is on the wish list. Just have to talk the little lady into it. I have already looked at some and like the Markbass' Little Mark Tube 800 with the Blackline Standard 4X10 cabinet. For the price, I like the Ampeg PF 500 Portaflex with the PF 210 Stack. Any other suggestions on something in the $1000 range? Thanks again!
  16. Unrepresented

Media:
    Might want to ask a mod to move this over to the amps forum where you'll get responses more suited towards the new direction this thread us going.:)
  17. Kully

Kully

:help:
    I have looked all over to find the modulator! please help! don't hurt me to much,....I'm new to the site,....thanks!
  18. jumblemind

You could just start a new thread in the Amps forum and leave this one here. This one might be helpful to others.

FWIW, the Ampeg will do your sounds really well, but I think most people around here would choose the PF115 cab for that setup.

Also, if you ever do get cash for that pedal, check out the SolidGoldFX Beta for old school thumb and grind. Would really beef up that jazz bass for that kind of music.
  19. jumblemind

I guess as long as the "some" includes the player and the audience...but we all have different ears here.
  20. Kully

Kully

Thanks for the help!
  21. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Would you consider buying used? Generally speaking your money will go a lot further on used gear.