Need some (re)finish help.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rip Topaz, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm working on refinishing one of my builds from a few years ago, and I've got a dilemma.

When I built the bass, I used Deft nitro. That's not the problem, though.

I'm stripping it to refinish, after reworking the whole bass, but I've hit a wall and need some advice.

The fretboard is also nitro and needs stripping.

Here's the problem. I need to strip the old finish from the fretboard, but I installed fiber optic side markers and any chemical stripper will melt the fibers and ruin the markers.

What's my best bet? Can I remove the finish without removing the frets, because that again raises the issue of the fiber optics. I don't want to risk damaging the fiber optics accidentally.

What would you guys suggest? Should I carefully paint some Citristrip between the frets?
  2. pfox14

pfox14

So, the fretboard is natural with a nitro finish? Why don't you just sand off the finish?
  3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Trying to sand it off without defretting would be a real pain, and there's also the problem of possibly sanding through the fretboard. I routed a channel in the back of the fretboard to run the fiber optics.

Defretting would leave more chance of breaking one of the fibers accidentally.
  4. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Scrap it with a razor blade, stand the blade straight up and down and utilize it like a darw scraper.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:

That was my next plan. Thanks. The razor blade is my best friend in the shop. Probably gonna be the best way.