1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need some tips from metal players!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nihilism, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Nihilism

Nihilism

Well hi! I play metal and punk rock, and recently I've started making some changes in my gear:
    I sold my Markbass mini combo in in order to buy an Aguilar TH 500 (I just love the tone, It's mad).
    Now, as much as I love it, I'd love to have some pedals to color my tone, add some grit to it when needed, and mostly sound GOOD live.
    I recently figured that I do need some change in my gear, therefor I bought the TH 500 and a Polytune Mini Noir.
    I also have a Markbass Compressore, and I soon intend to buy a DI for live use, and a darkglass b3k.
    My goal is to make my tone sound clean, yet gritty.
    After talking to my drummer (who's a sound tech), he told me I should really get a DI box.
    Now I know of the mxr m80, I know of the Sansamp BDDI, I know of the Darkglass B7K... I know it all.
    My questions are so:
    Why the hell do I need a Preamp pedal if I like the sound of my amp's preamp?
    More than that, why get a DI\preamp pedal, when you can just get a really good DI?
    For example:
    Darkglass has the B3K and B7K pedals.
    The B7K has more control over the distortion (which I don't think I need much), a DI and a preamp.
    The B3K contains just Overdrive\Distortion.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to get a B3K and a good DI box rather than use the B7K's DI?

Now - to compressors!
    I really liked the Compressore because It's so versatile, but I'm afraid the color it adds won't be good for the music I play.
    Which compressor would you recommend?
    I should add I'd like to have as less 'options' as possible, I want to make my pedalboard nice and simple.
    Hope I made sense!
  2. seansv

seansv

Getting a preamp/di like the B7k or M80 or BDDI is solving a problem you don't have. You have The TH500 preamp/di you like, and can just tailor the dirt with pedals any way you like with the B3k or others. If there's no problem with the TH DI out then you are good to go. If you can't get a clean (ground hum-free) balanced out from the TH500 (I have, from guys who bring them to my stage) then getting a high quality di to run from the preamp out or fx send of the TH500 should accomplish that. Personally, I recommend any of the following from Radial- ProDI, Pro48, JDI, or J48. I also like the countryman active di. Keep it simple. If you like the pre/eq in the TH500, don't add another to your board.

As for compressors, I bet the MB comp is good for you. As a FOH guy, I want better signal to noise ratio more than comp character from guys who have them in their rig. In the studio I can tell you my far and away favorite bass guitar compressor is an 1176 style. Live, the whole character thing doesn't come across as much, unless it's pretty extreme. All of this, IMO, IME etc. Also I don't really like limited parameters for comps. I know what I want and how to get it (not saying you don't) and I feel like my legs are cut off when I don't have at least attack, threshold (or input), ratio and makeup gain (or output). I am pretty impressed with the mxr m87.
  3. xbud

xbud Supporting Member

4. Nihilism

Nihilism

Well thanks for the tips! I will check into the m87 and even the Aguilar TLC. I'm already after a JDI :)
  5. Nihilism

Nihilism

Sorry for bumping again, but I think this is the pedalboard setup I'd like to have:
    PolyTune Mini, Boss Noise Suppressor, Radial JDI, B3K, Aguilar TLC\mxr m87.
    I should add, I want the Boss, compressor and the B3K to be on all the time.
    The JDI aswell, obviously.
    Will this be a good setup? Won't it be problematic having all the pedals on at the same time?!
  6. seedokebass

seedokebass Supporting Member

I have a TH500 and a B3K. I was very happy with the TH on it's own, but adding the B3K was icing on the cake. I'm actually in a pop band, but I've always liked heavy stuff and I worked in a B3K to my live tone without it sounding metal. I usually leave it on, but it's a great texture or boost pedal as well. The B7K would be awesome too, just depends on how much tone shaping you want.

What's wrong with the DI on the amp? If you really need a different DI, I would go with the B7K to kill two birds with one stone.
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

My recommendation is to stick with what you have. I own the Compressore myself. Here is what I have noticed. The first knob is gain. The more you turn that knob up, the sooner your signal is going to cross the threshold and get compressed. The second knob is threshold. The lower you set that knob, the sooner your signal is going to cross that threshold and get compressed. So what's the difference between the two knobs? The more you turn up the gain (and turn up the threshold to compensate) the more the pedal colors your tone. But if you use less gain (and lower the threshold to compensate) the pedal becomes very transparent. At least try it out before you spend any money. The versatility you praise in it extends to the style you wish to use it for, if you'd just spend some more time dialing it in.
  8. Nihilism

Nihilism

Well I thought I might aswell sell the comp and get a different one, but I will try it out again!
  9. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr

I just a/b the B7K and a VT Bass DI. I'll answer you questions with that in mind.

First off I want to say that both pedals work GREAT. Well enough that I would say that it honestly comes down to which vibe you prefer.

-You can use these as Pre-Amps in the sense that you hook it up to any power amp or you can bypass your pre-amp through the fx loop.

In my idea setup I would have a Aguilar TH500 and use it with BOTH of these pedals. I prefer the clean sound of the Aguilar TH500 but prefer the drive tones from the pedals. The amount of control that the EQ give is great and worth it in my opinion. It allows you to almost fake a second channel if you want to view it that way. You can also turn off the drives completely on them and use them as clean EQ pedals which gives you more options. You also have to take into account the blend knobs, for example I love the bottom end that Aguilar's have but like the clank that the VT Bass DI has, with the blend I would love to get both aspects in.

I'm a metal player as well. The VT Bass (the new DI lets you take this out easily with the bite switch off) and BDDI will give you that classic clanky tone know well through out metal. The B7K to me so far is mind-blowing at giving a TON of attack.
  10. Schimmy

Schimmy

If you like you amps pre-amp, no need to get a pedal for that.

I don't like saying one thing doing another, but i have a BDDI basically for OD tones.

IMHO, go with the B3K at once, or even the VMT, nice choice also. Other than that, i'd say test to exhaustion.

I have the BDDI mainly because i had a Ibanez promethean Head, and i didn't like it's pre-amp. Now with the GB STLMAX 9.2, everything is different.
  11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, EMG and D'Addario
    I just got another brand new JDI for $125 shipped!! It was on an Amazon deal. Depending on what sound you want look into the J48 as well, active and a little less colored than the JDI.

Happy hunting.
  12. Nihilism

Nihilism

I figured I should get the JDI because I play an active bass
  13. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, EMG and D'Addario
    The J48 is a cleaner path, no transistor like the Jensen in the JDI. That's where the smoothness of the JDI comes from. The J48 will give you better natural tone. I have both and use them in different situations with both active and passive basses.
  14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If you like the sound of the TH500, why do you need/want a separate DI at all? It already has a good onboard DI.
  15. Mogalen

Mogalen

My setup is as follows:

BASS (Yamaha RBX 5 (Bb standard) or Ibanez BTB 5 (Drop Bb)) - Korg Pitchback tuner - B3K - ESB Multicomp - Boss NS1 noisegate - Hartke amp

And this is working great for me.
  16. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

for compressors, i cannot recommend enough the MXR Bass Compressor. I own it, and just...gah. It's wonderful. :D
  17. seansv

seansv

I'm just going to remark that through all the other responses, no one disagreed with me, and most people reiterated my main points. did I just win the internet forum championships? :eek:
  18. Nihilism

Nihilism

Bumping again, sorry. I had another question
    . How will this act as a pedalboard: b3k, polytune mini, jdi, MB compressore,boss ns2. I should mention I want all pedals but the PT to be always-on. Will it make me lose tone?
  19. Mogalen

Mogalen

It'll work.

You just have to experiment with different signal chains and different pedal settings.

You won't lose tone. Just make sure you have good cables that are not too long. You need A LOT of pedals to lose tone, and even if you do, you can just get a buffert.
  20. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Why do you want the NS-2?