Need someone to test: Final Fantasy IX - Final Battle

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Sassafras, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Sassafras

Sassafras

So I have just been doing something by ear and I need someone to tell me if it sounds O.K. to them.

The song is this:
    http://youtu.be/KzXNx2XF6H8?t=1m15s

I have it fast forwarded to the part for you (around 1:15).

My tab for the main bass line is this:
    Code:
    G|-|---5-----4-------|
    D|-|-----5-----------|
    A|-|-3-----0-----5---|
    E|-|-----------0---3-|
    And other versions of it I could find moderately easy to play are:

Code:
    G|-|-----------------------|
    D|-|---10-------9----------|
    A|-|------10-0----------10-|
    E|-|-8------------12-10----|

OR

G|-|---5-----4-------|
    D|-|-----5---------5-|
    A|-|-3-----0---7-5---|
    E|-|-----------------|
    If you could test it out and give me your thoughts on the tab, that would be great and I would be very thankful.

Thanks!

2. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Those are all pretty off. Here ya go:

G|--5-----4-------|
    D|----5-6-------5-|
    A|3---------6-5---|
    E|----------------|

3. Sassafras

Sassafras

I was going by the sheet music for piano:

[​IMG]

4. PlayTheBass

Assuming you've got three flats in the key sig (Cm), then that's the same as what I posted above.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sassafras

Sassafras

I don't quite understand the theory, so could you elabourate?

Why doesn't it show flats in the sheet music yet you come to the conclusion that they are flats in those spots?

P.S. I am not denying that you are right, I am just trying to understand so that I can put this knowledge to use in the future when I try to do this.

7. PlayTheBass

Sure, no problem! :) As you know, each song is in a certain key, which basically refers to the scale that is used to build the main chords and melody in the song. In this case, the key is C minor. A minor scale is built from whole steps and half steps like this: W H W W H W W, so the notes would be C D Eb F G Ab Bb C... that gives a key signature of three flats.

You have to know the key signature to know what the notes on the staff are. Does your sheet music show a bass clef and three flats at the beginning of the staff?

8. Sassafras

Sassafras

Oh yes it does have 3 flats. Are the 3 flats on the notes that are indeed flat?

9. PlayTheBass

Yes, the flats will always be in the same order on key signatures, so if there are 3 you know what they are. The order of flats is Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Cb. So if there are three flats, they are Bb, Eb, and Ab -- just what we need for C minor.

One telltale giveaway that we were missing the key signature from the graphic above was the natural sign on the B. B-natural is not a part of the C minor scale, whhich is one of the reasons it sticks out in the riff and gives it some nice tension.

10. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Just curious how you were doing this by ear with the sheet music?

11. Sassafras

Sassafras

Started by doing the intro part and I got it to sound fine. But then when I got it to the fast part I slowed it down with audacity. But then I still couldn't get it perfectly. Then I looked up sheet music to see where I was going wrong. Also the sheet music was piano music and I was just looking at the bass clef where the bass notes would obviously be. But as I have been doing the whole song I have been tabbing some of the parts on the treble clef for places where the bass would sound nice.

And thank you PlayTheBass. That helps a lot! Thank you very much!

12. PlayTheBass

Right on, Sassafras, you got it! Keep learning theory while you develop your ear... it will always help you put it all together.