Need someone who knows alot about turntables and records

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rugmaster, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

I tried posting this on a turntable forum and haven't gotten a single reply. So I collect records and I just got a new one in the other day (Don't Break The Oath by Mercyful Fate) and the whole thing plays fine except for the last track. The problem is while it plays only sound comes out of the left channel in some spots, which is really annoying. Is this some soirt of record wear? I have lots of records and have never heard this happen before. I'm even testing another record out now just to be sure it's not my turntable that's causing it.

2. megafiddle

megafiddle

The signal wires for the cartridge will flex as the arm transverses the record.
    If the insulation is damaged, the signal wires for left channel could be shorting.

Another possibility is that a muting switch is closing for some reason.

A simple check is with an ohmmeter - connect probes to left channel output
    and slowly move the arm across the platter (with the turntable off). You will
    likely see the resistance drop very low at some point. Then you will need
    to inspect things to determine the cause.

If the circuit were opening instead of shorting, there would usually be some
    60 cycle hum when the signal cut out.

edited to add: I'm not familiar with that recording, and I'm assumming that it
    wasn't recorded that way. But it doesn't sound like record wear.

-

3. StayLow

StayLow

4. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

I just tried playing another record and nothing happened so I don't think it's my turntable.. also thanks for the link staylow, will definitely check that out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. OldDog52

OldDog52

It's possible the anti skating force is set way too high.

The innermost grooves are more susceptible to mis tracking due to cartridge misalignment or anti skating issues. But if one channel cuts out completely I'd be looking into the cartridge and tone arm wiring integrity.

7. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

But it doesn't happen when I play other records. Just this one in the exact same spots. So it must be something to do with the record itself.

8. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

what happens when you play that album on a different table?...

9. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

Good question, I only have one turntable right now that's in working order so I can't try it

10. megafiddle

megafiddle

How long does it lose the signal for? And does it go dead quiet?
    Try it with the right channel turned down so you hear only the left, and see if there is
    any distortion or breaking up involved.

That sounds possible. I would check everything including overhang.

11. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

It lasts about a second in some spots and around 8 to 10 seconds near the end of the track. Like I said, it happens in the same spots each time, doesn't happen with any other records, so it has to be the record itself. I contacted the person I ordered the record from and he said it's happened to him before, and that it is "dirt on that side of the track", so I will at least try cleaning it to see what happens.

12. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

dirt?....what was he using it for,a shovel?.....i got albums 60 years old without that kind of dirt....

13. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

I don't think he meant literally dirt.. although I have seen records that looked like they were literally used as shovels

14. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

if it was me i'd try a friend's table,but i think the pressing is probably the cause....qc was never a priority with record companies,though some were recorded, mastered and pressed better than others........they were viewed as disposable commodities for when the next big band came along....

15. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

I took it to my favourite record store and tried it out at their listening station turntable and it did the exact same thing. So I did a little research to find that Canadian pressings of this album (which I have) actually tend to have this same problem on the very last track. Thanks ebay! So if you're thinking of buying a copy of this album, I would stay away from a Canadian version, because they have printing issues.