1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

need stainless strings with mids

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Matt_T, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Matt_T

Matt_T

I'm really liking my newly acquired SBMM SUB SB-4 with D'Addario Pro Steels but I could use some more mids to go along with those highs. What do ya'll recommend? FWIW, I usually use XLs but wanted to go stainless for more high presence.
  2. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

DR Lo Riders have nice mid range, and you can get em in nickel or stainless steel. I also liked the mid response of boomers on my p-bass, but I think that's at least partly due to the SD quarter pounder, so YMMV.
  3. Matt_T

Matt_T

Would there be that much difference in tone between the Pro Steels and stainless Lo Riders? I believe they both have hex cores. I have an irrational Jones for a set of Swing Bass 66s but that's probably just because of all the Who I've been listening to lately. I made need to back to the XLs for what I'm looking for.
  4. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I haven't used Pro Steels in a long, long time, so it's difficult for me to directly compare, though I did stop using them because I didn't like the way they sounded after breaking in. The Lo Riders definitely have a good mid presence. Rotos do have some mid presence as well, but I'm personally not a fan of the way they sound once broken in, and I think the DRs hold up better over time.
  5. Duckwater

Duckwater

My favorite steels rounds are Roto 66s for their classic high mid grind and Labella Hard Rockin Steels for their huge low mid growl.
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes

GHS Super Steels are a tad smoother to the touch and have more mids.
  7. Matt_T

Matt_T

Cool. Thanks for the input, guys.
  8. Toptube

Toptube

My favorite Steels right now are Dean Markley Helix SS. Lots of interesting mids and low mid. even highs.

Daddario's flex steels just came out and bassstringsonline did a video for them. They seem to sound pretty dang good.

Rotos are always a good choice and pretty much the gold standard for mid heavy steels.
  9. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    The new D'Addario Flex Steels have been described to have more mids than ProSteels. Check out the recent thread on them.
  10. Eddie Bones

Eddie Bones

I've been using DR Low Riders exclusively for a few years and won't use anything else. They are made with a hexagonal core and have a really nice growly mid punch. They also stay bright longer than other brands I have played.
  11. Matt_T

Matt_T

I have a faint recollection of Rotosounds and Hard Rockin' Steels having relatively high string tension but I haven't played a set in many a long year. Actually, the Rotosounds I tried were the Billy Sheehan signatures so high string tension was guaranteed.
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Rotosound would be my recommendation.

I tried a set of Prosteels in hopes that I would really like them since they are inexpensive and I'm a big fan of the Nickel XL's, but I just don't dig em' They're too scooped for my taste.
  13. Duckwater

Duckwater

They both have a little more tension than ProSteels at the same gauge
  14. markanini

markanini

15. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

DR Hi-Beams.
  16. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Roto 66 steels have lots of mids. I tried prosteels and then switched to rotos, noticed a difference right away. Prosteels are a killer string for that scooped slap tone though.
  17. Matt_T

Matt_T

I am strongly leaning towards the Rotosound 66 steels (or perhaps nickels for additional mids, it appears their nickels are still pretty trebly). I also have a faint recollection of the E string sounding dead on Rotosounds out of the box. Is this still the case?
  18. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

It can happen, I've had dead Es out of the pack twice. I actually got a dead E, and Rotosound sent me a free pack. Which also had a dead E. but I've also had 6 good packs in a row before that. Their QC isn't the best, but nothing else sounds like em, and for 20$ the price is right.
  19. Duckwater

Duckwater

That can happen with any strings, Rotosound and most other companies will replace your string if it's defective.
  20. Toptube

Toptube

Roto's nickel are some of my favorite nickel strings.

I've got a pair of Fodera Stainless on a bass right now. They are even sounding, with an open/airy quality. But they are pretty grabby/slow playing strings. They also still leave my fingers black, two months later. I've never experienced that with a string.