Need starter bass recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ROTJob, Nov 7, 2012.

1. ROTJob

ROTJob

I am a guitar player just switching to bass and I need a starter/practice amp. The only 2 criteria I have are lowish budget (would like to stay under $200) and I want it to have an input for a drum machine.

Any suggestions?
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Anything with MP3 or RCA inputs will be small bedroom practice amps. Ampeg BA108/BA110/BA112 will all have these inputs, as well as headphone jacks. None will hold up with a band though.
  3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Used Peavey
  4. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Fender Rumble 350.
    You want enough power to keep up with a band situation or else it will be a practice amp and you will have to buy another one for the band.

Fender Rumble 350

Compare prices at different retailers. I have no idea whether that link is a low, high or average price.

Don't forget to check out the used market. Some good deals can be found on Craigslist, but always buyer beware.

Oops I didn't notice you said $200. For that price range I would definitely stay in the used market.
    Lots of newish low priced starter stuff on Craigslist from folks that started out and gave up.
    Sometimes a few months after xmas there is a surge in that kind of thing.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Do you want an actual amp or would another practice device / mixer work?
  7. ROTJob

ROTJob

Pretty much anything would work at this point. I am not in a band, and have no real plans to be. I just enjoy playing for fun.

Since asking the original question, I read a lot here and I think what I am really wanting to do is get some kind of multieffect pedal (Zoom B1 perhaps) that has a built in drum machine, and then run that into the amp. I'm thinking I can probably do this with any amp based on the inputs/outputs I saw in some pics.

I played around with an Accoustic 15 watt amp the other day and I have to say that it would probably suit my needs, as long as I could get a drum beat run through it.

I'm just looking for advice before I buy to avoid the gear hoarding pitfall I fell victim to with guitar.

Also, I am playing a Fender Squier Jazz Bass, if that matters.
  8. MostlyBass

Having owned lots is equipment an practice tools, my favorite:

Mackie 4channel mixer
    Good headphones ( I like the sennheiser 205 or 208 series)
    Drum machine or drum machine app

Or

Tasman guitar / bass trainer

I own both of these setups. Owning a mixing has proven extremely useful.

The benefits of this over a small practice amp are

-Much higher quality sound
    -No chance of disturbing people
    -having flexible setups and gear

If you truly want an amp, I'd save up and bypass the purely practice amp category and go for a combo like the GK MB112 ( which I have at the middle school I teach at - awesome little amp and deceptively loud!)
  9. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Do you mean Tascam? I have both of their CD trainers (bass and guitar) I recommend them, too. No drum machine capabilty, though.
  10. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    have you considered a single active monitor? i got a pair of ok ones for 60 bucks, new, and plug into the powered one, don't even use the second. plus, i can use the aux in at the same time for mp-3s. cheap, small, loud enough, and multiple inputs.
  11. Rockin Mike

Consider that recordings have drum tracks too.
    If you play along with your favorite MP3s you will have the drums to sync with and the advantage of learning great bass players' ideas and styles.
  12. ROTJob

ROTJob

Please tell me more about active monitors. Is this something I could play using only the bass, the multieffect pedal, and the monitor? If so, then that might be the way to go.
  13. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    these are the ones i got. like i said, i only use one (one has the amp, the other is just a passive speaker). you'd NEVER be able to play these for anything but solo rehearsal, but like i said before, cheap, loud enough, small and multiple inputs. they were on sale when i got them, but it looks like there is a pair that came back on return for $60...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-AV30-Speaker-System-620706-i2281641.gc
  14. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
  15. MostlyBass

Active monitors is an interesting suggestion! I think one of the Tascams has some basic built in beats... But - what about getting a used Alesis SR-16 or similar drum machine?
  16. Rockin Mike

There are some freeware drum synthesizers you can program on your computer.
    Example:
    Hydrogen drum machine