Need suggestions for a good J neck and pickups,

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iffen, Jan 4, 2014.

1. iffen

iffen

Hi! Im a norwegian guy thats been lurking theese forums for a while to get ideas and inspiration for a new bass guitar.:bassist:

I bought a black korina 4 string Jazz bass body, schaller 4 string bridge, a pickguard and a control plate from warmoth and it looks great. After i mockuped how it would looked i started wondering. What kind of neck and pickups should i use?

I've read a lot of good things about warmoth and seen lots of cool basses with wenge necks. Also people seem to dig how the wenge feels. But after seeing my bass next to my crappy morgan fretless neck (looked great together but dont fit) im thinking maybe maple/rosewood or maple/maple.

Should i go warmoth? Or maybe allparts? Getting a fender used neck is also possible but hard in norway.
    I also wonder what kind of pickups would be the best choice. I play bluesy metal with one band, punk with another and play pop,rock,reggae and whatever else at home. The pickups should be able to at least do blues/metal good.

Here's a picture of the mockup:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zq5ix89kjh09bgm/2013-12-30 12.40.16.jpg
    Im gonna tru oil it!:smug:

Thanks for all ideas and input!:D
  2. Lo-E

Lo-E

I can only speak from my own preferences, but I have always preferred the way Allparts necks feel compared to Warmoth necks. To me, Allparts necks feel very much like Japanese Fender necks from the 80's and I like that profile.

Having said that, though, Warmoth offers several different neck profiles and I may have just not played the one I like. Warmoth's quality is certainly very good. Going with Warmoth would ensure that you'll have no issues with the neck fitting well in the neck pocket and they offer more wood options.

As far as pickups go, stock Jazz basses are, IMO, very versatile and can work in almost any style of music. If it were me, I'd choose pickups that are close to vintage specs.
  3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

You can get brand-new genuine Fender necks ($200 MIM and $500 MIA equivalents), assuming you can find a retailer who will ship across the pond. Plus, Guitar Center/Musician's Friend are stocking them for the same prices. They might ship internationally, even if Fender doesn't. Either way, it couldn't hurt to ask.

http://www.fender.com/necks-bodies/
  4. pfox14

pfox14

I'd go with a genuine Fender neck. Can't go wrong there.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I generally like Warmoth. However, I prefer their simpler designs with a vintage truss rod. I do not support the fashion to put reenforcing rods into bass necks and I think at this time Warmoth forces you to take them. I didn't like Allparts when I tried (not much of a study I know). For a custom bass neck I would try MusiKraft but I never did, unless Warmoth is willing to do some "pure vintage" or whatever they want to call it.

I would track down a Fender AVRI, MIJ/CIJ reissue or maybe a MIM 60s neck if the specs are what you want.
  7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

8. Davo-London

Davo-London

There's lots of necks on ebay so be patient and see what you can get.

As for pickups you should go to the pickups part of the forum and ask the question there!

Davo