1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need Suggestions for four 4 ohm 12" bass speakers!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RyanBass8, Jan 10, 2013.

1. RyanBass8

RyanBass8

I am currently in the process of converting a 4x12 guitar cab into a 4x12 bass cab and now I am deciding on what speakers to put in this. I need four, 4 ohm 12" speakers and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions?!

All help is welcomed!!!!!!!!!!
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

a typical 4x12 will most likely be too small for a decent bass enclosure. Why 4Ω drivers??
  3. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I'm guessing Series/Parallel for an overall 4 Ohm Cabinet. Sounds like a decent plan.

I would go for Avatar Neo's
  4. RyanBass8

RyanBass8

I will most likely use this cab with another one like my 2x15 or 6x10.

I emailed a guy at Eminence and he said I can run four 4 ohm speakers in series/parallel wiring to get my desired 4 ohm load.

Are there any other options you have in mind?
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You can also use 16 ohm in parallel.
  6. RyanBass8

RyanBass8

I run an Svt-4 pro head for part of my setup and a 4 ohm cab will make most sense in the configuration I want to use it in to get the most power out of it.
  7. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

A guitar cab being loaded with bass speakers (apparently without benefit of WinISD modeling) to be combined with other cabs creating mixed drivers :rollno:
  8. RyanBass8

RyanBass8

I already run a system of many different speaker brands, sizes and cabs.....So this should fit in very well with everything. I may use this for my overdrive signal on top of my bass signal.
  9. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

A single 12" guitar combo could do that, and probably more effectively
  10. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

a bergantino NV412 (36X24X15) is about the same size as an orange 412 cab (30X31X15) [i know it's internal measurements that matter, but they're both close, 7.5cuft vs 8cuft]

same question as OP, what speakers would be comparable to the berg NV412 to fit into an orange cab?
  11. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Steve Harris has EVM 12l's in his Marshall 4x12 cabs but as Bassman Paul mentioned there isn't much cabinet volume so don't expect much in the way of low bass trouser flapping action for your five string.
    4 ohms is going to end up as 2 ohms total by the time you add a pair of
    8 ohm 15" drivers in the 2x15 the only problems are: now you are going to have a distribution of power issue too much to the 12" and not enough to the fifteens.
    Again like Bassman Paul said why 4 ohms is you amp 2 ohms compatible
    what's the impedance of your six by ten.
    Electricity will follow the path of least resistance therefore dropping drivers to four ohms will load them more and any eight ohm drivers you own will be powered less, how this will notice will depend on the SPL of the various speakers in your rig.:bassist:
  12. skychief

skychief Supporting Member

step 1: reverse-engineer the enclosure. I.E., find out the internal dimensions/volume and measure the ports (if any).

step 2: run WinISD and find the closest matched 12" drivers to your cab.

step 3: make the necessary tweaks/adjustments to the interior of the enclosure. It wont be perfect, but you can get in the ballpark, anyway.

I did this with an old (unloaded) Peavey enclosure i dug out of a dumpster. Sounds pretty good, actually. :p
  13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Stick a big capacitor in front of it to highpass at 200-400hz and run guitar speakers on top of your bass cabs.:bassist:
  14. RyanBass8

RyanBass8

I run a signal splitter and have one signal through an Svt-4 pro running my 6x10 (which is 4 ohms). The second signal is running either my B4R with an overdrive on it, or a guitar head which will have this 4x12 on it (which will also be 4 ohms).

So I split everything up and everything is 4 ohms and things are sounding good so far with my 2x10 in place of the 4x12. But I'm looking forward to getting this cab in there.
  15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Then run guitar speakers in this with the guitar head. Turn the bass down on the guitar head and turn the treble down on the bass heads.
  16. RyanBass8

RyanBass8

That would sound good, but I would like to try to keep this a bass cab if at all possible
  17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Still, 16 ohm spkrs will make a 4 ohm cab just the same. All parallel, instead of series/parallel.
  18. RyanBass8

RyanBass8

Im having trouble finding 16ohm 12" bass speakers however....Any help on that?? Thanks!!
  19. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

has anything been suggested yet?
    4ohm 12" bass speakers

IIRC Jim Bergantino uses some custom Eminence in his discontinued NV412. I'd guess it's something close to a commercially available speaker? any idea? Delta? Kappa?
  20. B-string

B-string Supporting Member