1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need suggestions for piccolo bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AmadeusXeno, Sep 27, 2011.

1. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

I want to set up a bass in piccolo tuning but not sure what would work best. Anyone with expirence have any suggestions? I plan on getting a bass in the $200-400 price range. Are different pickups better for this? Also is it fine to use a regular 34" scale or should I look for a short scale. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  2. 308fan

308fan

I'm getting ready to do the same thing. I picked up a used ibanez sr400 w/ p/j pups and active eq. for around $200 US.
    It's 34" scale w/ 24 med. frets. I figured that would give me a large range to work with.

I also picked up some D'Addario Piccolo strings for 34" scale - they come in a pack, ready to go. I don't know if I'll need to replace the nut, several forums say you do have to change the nut because of the smaller diameter strings, others say you don't. I'm going to switch the strings and try it w/ out changing the nut first. Has anyone out there converted an SR Ibanez to piccolo?

Once I get the bass set up, I'll start looking for cool effects pedals. My amp has chorus and envelope filter, so I'll probably try reverb next. Any ideas?

Hope that helps
  3. ysand

ysand

The first thing to ask yourself is if you're gonna use the piccolo bass for anything more than experimenting at home or practice.
    Any bass would do (preferably 34" or shorter).

As for me, I did it, liked it, then found no use for it and decided that I just wanted an alternate tuning after all.
  4. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

I plan on doing a solo project at some point. I'm not very good at getting an electric guitar to do what I want so I figure I'll stick with what I know. Since a piccolo bass fits in the sonic range of a guitar I can feel at home on the instrument and cover everything I want whenever I get around to this solo project.
  5. JakeNapier

JakeNapier

I am currently doing a similar thing, I am knocking out a solo bass project using reverb, delay, chorus and a looper. Similarly, i am looking for the perfect piccolo bass..... i have been tempted by a Zon bass (like Zander Zon) but i am not sure what the perfect specs are for the ideal bass. Any ideas? I currently have my precision strung with piccolos..... which feels sacrilegious.
  6. movielvr

movielvr

converting a 34 roadstar to piccolo now.
  7. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I would also like to set up a piccolo bass. If/when that time comes, I'll probably pick up a used Squier or Fender MIM/MIJ Jazz or Ibanez and proceed from there.
  8. Mktrat

Mktrat Huh? Supporting Member

Last night I came across a set of Ken Smith burner piccolo strings probably had them since 99.

Threw them on my Wick 'vette and am now totally confused. Sounds cool though.

I just can't figure out what to play, or for that matter how!!

Just my $.02