Need the ultimate lightweight combo

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jessicabass, Aug 14, 2013.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

I took off some time playing as i got married and had a child, and now im getting back into things.
    I always played with big gear as i was in a single band and did mostly recording ventures on the side.
    Sunn 300 w/ 2 Avatar 4x10's or my Randall 500 w/ 2x15's
    Ive missed music so much and i was very good at it as well, earned alot of respect in the local scene.
    I have many offers and want to make music part of my life again.
    Thanks to the hubby i dont need to work so making alot of money isnt important.
    Im starting at the beginning of september in a working cover band that will pay well, but am looking into original projects and just getting together with others and jamming.
    I have the $2k from selling the gear and want to go lightweight combo.
    Since i will be very mobile i just want something i can carry the bass with one hand and the amp with another.
    I want something of quality that can hold its own in band situations that can get loud and since gigs all have PA support i only need it for monitor on stage.
    Love to hear from people who have actually used the gear they are recommending

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What kind of tone are you looking for?

Not a combo but it is very portable: fEARless F112 with a Genz Shuttlemax 9.2 in a back pack.

3. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

I have a GK112 that weighs 28 lbs and I love the thing. Plus I got it used in mint shape for $210. I load everything in one trip, heck with my bass on my back I even have a free hand. Most of my gigs have PA support - so just like you, I use it mostly for a stage monitor. The only downside is mine isn't expandable, the GK112 II can be chained to another powered cab should you ever start playing gigs requiring a bigger rig. As CL4P said, it will come down to what tone you like. I dig the GK tone for what I do, but some bassists don't care for it. Markbass makes some great lightweight stuff as well. I liked the GK better, and it was less $$, so win-win for me. Trying some out is the best way to see what you like. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

4. jessicabass

jessicabass

Use a pick with flats
    Looking for something punchy with good solid lows/low mid without getting boomy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jessicabass

jessicabass

200 watts with single 12inch cuts through in a rock band rehearsal?

7. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

For a light weight good sounding rig a Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and a Crazy88 cab would be my choice.

I heard a Crazy88 this past Sunday and was floored by the sound coming out of that little thing.

8. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    A fEARless F112 with your choice of the following amps would give you that, and have a ton of volume for its size. (really any of the solid micros will give you what you want).

Genz Benz Streamliner 900
    Genz Benz Shuttle(max) 9.0(.2)
    GK MB800 (Fusion)
    Ampeg PF-800
    Orange TB-500

9. SoLongJake

SoLongJake

My 30 watt Little Bastard with a thunderchild 115 gets loud enough for rehearsal and then some, I only turn it up to about 9 oclock.

10. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    The cab portion of the TC-115 is *much* more capable than the GK combo.

11. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

I tried one of the new super-light GK combos out (the 1-15)and it seemed great sounding at GC levels... truly light, lots of woomph. The line has gotten substantial attention here at TB, and think the 2x12 really has great comments that you can find. If I had 2k I'd get one of these and mate it with one of their powered 2x12 extension cabs--but that's bigger than you want so maybe just the amp. :)

12. Russell L

Russell L

Markbass CMD 121P combo gets a lot of love around here on TB. I wanted more, though, and went with a Little Mark III head and Traveler 151P cab (actually two for when needed). I still make it in in one trip when using just one speaker. Of course, that means hauling the cab, head in a briefcase, and gig bag on a cart with my bass on my back in a gig bag.

I also have a Markbass CMD 121H combo, but just the one 12" wasn't enough for my classic rock band. Almost, but not quite. I'm usually carrying the room by myself, although sometimes I DI out. Yet, the 115 gives me more sound pressure level and won't fart out as soon as the single 12."

13. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

GK MB200 combo is a great choice. A little over 30 pounds total weight with a top carry handle. The 2x10 has plenty of oomp at about 250 watts but can be connected to an extension cab (say a 1x15 or another 2x10) for something around 500 watts. Has line out and all other necessary functions for true gigging and makes a nice practice amp as well. I've had mine for nearly two years with no issues.

14. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

I run an AudioKinesis Thunderchild 1x12 and an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500. It's probably more rig than you need, but it'll keep up with a drummer and carry a small- to mid-sized room, is fat, punchy, and "fast" sounding, weighs less than 35 lbs all told, and costs under $1500 for head and cab. Hard to argue with, in my opinion.

I would definitely recommend one of the Tone Hammer amp heads; the 350 is small enough to fit in most gigbags, and your options for great-sounding, loud, punchy, and efficient cabs are much greater if you're willing to go with a separate head/cab solution.

15. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

If 45ish lbs is lightweight enough (for the 210 or 212), you might put Tecamp Puma Combos on your list of things to look at.

[​IMG]

I can't comment, as you preferred, from use, but I have never heard someone else playing something that I found as remarkable. Something to do with the player and his bass? Sure, but the sound coming out of the amp was perfect (Puma head and 212 cab)

If I had $2,000 for a combo, I'd own one in a heartbeat. Take a look at the owner/club threads for reference.

16. totem

totem

I've used the Genz Shuttle 6.0-12T combo for years. It kicks butt for stage volume, has an excellent DI, and weighs something like 32 pounds. I have the 12 extension cab too when I need it.

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for a micro head and state of the art super 12 cab.

My head choice would be a GB Shuttle 6.2 or a GK MB500 and for the cab, a Thunderchild TC12 or a fEarless 112. The head fits in a gigbag pocket and the cab should weigh under 40 lbs. Not SUPER light, but as light as you'll get and still have enough power to realistically fill a small bar or monitor on stage with any drummer. Total about 1600 bucks. This should give you roughly the volume of a conventional 210 or more, and you'll be able to add another 112 if you like. You will also have a small head to bring along for a di or use with another backline. I see no good reason to go with a less flexible combo if you have the scratch.

18. butcher

butcher

There have been some great advancements in bass rig options lately... and some not as great as advertised.

You use to play through some great, powerful, warm rigs.

With the new lightweight options there are new sets of pros and cons with each of them.

I think you are correct to question whether a commercially offered single 12 or single 15 combo will hold it's own in your definition of a rock band setting given your prior rigs.

Also, with your amount of experience I think you will want to get out and hear the options you are considering... and hear them at volume if possible. The neo 2x12 cabinets might be something for you to start your research with.

As for the new Class D micro and hybrid amps you will want to increase your perceived need for power by about 50%. There is a whole army of people on TB that will provide measurements that prove this and that about the new amps but in practice a 500 Watt Class D amp will give just about give you the playing experience of your old 300 Watt solid state amps (tube is a different story of course). Try it for yourself when you go out and listen.

Do you have a decent collection of music stores in your area where you can demo various combinations?

I don't think you will find a lightweight, commercially available combo that will suit all of your needs. The possibilities really open up when you consider separate micro heads and neo cabs and shouldn't be much to consider as some of the heads will fit in the pocket of a gigbag or have their own shoulder bag.

19. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Totally second this - like you I came back to bass after a long time away. At first I thought to go the combo route but quickly realized that more flexibility can be had with a micro head and cab. The good stuff is so much lighter now.

I have a Genz Benz Streamliner (900 watts, 6 lbs, fits in a padded backpack with cords, tools, etc) and Baer ML112 cabs (each one weighs 37 lbs). One would be plenty for you.

There are many great 112s now - Baer, Fearful, Berg, GK, Genz Benz - all have different qualities and tone profile, get out and try as many as you can.

Same with heads - Genz Benz, Gallien Krueger, Aguilar, Markbass, others - lots of power, 5-6 lbs. All sound different.

Best advice - take your time, read alot of the forum posts on this, and take everyone's recommendation for what it is - their own personal preference. I love GB - some don't. Many like Ampeg and GK - I don't. You'll need to find your own preference.

Good luck, have fun - its a whole new world in bass gear these days!

20. LunaticAviation

LunaticAviation

Well, going out on a limb as "light" is as relative a term as "big"....(having two X chromosomes, you already knew that), I will be the odd man out here, but a Roland DB210, and DB115x at about 50 lbs. each pack a great deal of punch for the dollar. They are not small, but for the weight the sound is impressive, and from a dollar value perspective they won't set you back 2-large. They will, however impress you with tone, clarity and quiet.

All the COSM bs aside, it is a fine little stack, and as a bass player who is not vain enough to call himself accomplished, I can tell you that having something large enough to lean against between sets or put a brew on just feels right. I just played an impromptu gig with a newly acquired Phil Jones double four piped through a PA. For the size this little thing is no practice amp, but just standing next to it, I felt like a biker walking a white poodle.

Just sayin....

21. Drunk Heffalump

Drunk Heffalump Tone that I have. Skill? Oh, that? Well....

Make sure you give a listen to Mesa's Walkabout scout line. Reasonable for weight and size and it will amaze you with it's sound and power.

:D