1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Need to ask a quick question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by floridagatorfan, Nov 10, 2012.

1. on an E minor scale what note would be the 4th minor?

2. penatonic e minor scale i should say

3. Sponsored by:

4. LayDownABoogie

LayDownABoogie

Jan 3, 2012
    Wording of the question is strange....

In E minor the 4th is A. It isn't called a minor 4th, it is a perfect 4th. (Most likely the answer to your question).

Unless your after the fourth note in an E minor pentatonic scale, which is B.

5. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Call me crazy, but don't people perceive a pentatonic scale as a variant of a minor scale?

To my ear the 4th of a scale is a perfect 4th above the tonic. To my ear the 4 in a pentatonic scale is A, and the B sounds like the 5th.

For example in E pentatonic you don't play the tonic chord (Em) with E,A,D (the first, third and fifth notes counting strictly)... it's still E,G,B.

6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    A note is neither major or minor. Intervals, chords and scales can be major or minor.

For any scale with E as the tonic center (E major, E minor, E pentatonic) the 4th note is A.
    In a minor scale the 4th chord (generally referred to as the "iv chord") is a minor chord made up of A,C,E.
    In E pentatonic you'd use that A,C,E chord if you wanted to play an iv chord.

7. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Yes, that is the way I see it, however, is the question about the 4th note in the scale or the 4th scale degree in the pentatonic scale?
    Major pentatonic = R-2-3-5-6
    Minor pentatonic = R-b3-4-5-b7

8. Nah, you're not crazy, that's how I see them. The same as a major pentatonic is just a variant of the major scale.