1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need to ask a quick question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by floridagatorfan, Nov 10, 2012.

1. floridagatorfan

floridagatorfan

on an E minor scale what note would be the 4th minor?

2. floridagatorfan

floridagatorfan

penatonic e minor scale i should say

3. LayDownABoogie

LayDownABoogie

Wording of the question is strange....

In E minor the 4th is A. It isn't called a minor 4th, it is a perfect 4th. (Most likely the answer to your question).

Unless your after the fourth note in an E minor pentatonic scale, which is B.

4. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Call me crazy, but don't people perceive a pentatonic scale as a variant of a minor scale?

To my ear the 4th of a scale is a perfect 4th above the tonic. To my ear the 4 in a pentatonic scale is A, and the B sounds like the 5th.

For example in E pentatonic you don't play the tonic chord (Em) with E,A,D (the first, third and fifth notes counting strictly)... it's still E,G,B.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

A note is neither major or minor. Intervals, chords and scales can be major or minor.

For any scale with E as the tonic center (E major, E minor, E pentatonic) the 4th note is A.
    In a minor scale the 4th chord (generally referred to as the "iv chord") is a minor chord made up of A,C,E.
    In E pentatonic you'd use that A,C,E chord if you wanted to play an iv chord.

7. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Yes, that is the way I see it, however, is the question about the 4th note in the scale or the 4th scale degree in the pentatonic scale?
    Major pentatonic = R-2-3-5-6
    Minor pentatonic = R-b3-4-5-b7

8. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Nah, you're not crazy, that's how I see them. The same as a major pentatonic is just a variant of the major scale.