1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need to get rid of a head...help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by creis2, Jan 18, 2013.

1. creis2

creis2

I'm looking to downsize some stuff to fund another hobby. I have 3 heads, 2 Ashdown ABM 500's and a Genz Benz Streamliner 900.

It's either one of the Ashdown's or the Genz. I know the practical route is to have a lightweight backup, but that doesn't concern me. I tour a lot, most of my stuff is in heavy road cases, so lightweight isn't

My main concern with the Genz is.....serviceability. I know their CS is great, but from the recent thread I read and the reality of the economy, who knows what companies will exist tomorrow. If my Ashdown fails, I can bring it to a local tech with my provided schematic Ashdown sent me. Many things I can fix own my own. That's what scares me about class D amps. The boards aren't serviceable by the average tech.

If the Genz fails years down the road and they aren't around to help me, well a simple 10 cent failed component will make the head useless.

Any suggestions?

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

A few years down the road Class D and SMPS component level repairs are likely to be more wide spread.

3. lowstrung5

lowstrung5

My suggestion.............keep the two heads you like the most and sell the other.........and maybe you're over thinking this. ;)

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

You haven't mentioned which ones you think sound better... so I am going to assume you like both the Ashdown and GenzBenz tone.

So if weight is not a consideration I would go with the two Ashdowns. Having an exact backup can be convenient.

On the other hand, what if you had an audition or a quick "get together" gig. A lightweight head that you can easily carry might be very handy to have.

Hope that helps :p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. creis2

creis2

I find the Ashdown to be more of the tone I like. The lightweight head is nice to have, but going from playing an SVT head for 10+ years, the ashdown isn't "heavy" IMO.

But since it's a backup head, tone isn't my number one goal. I'm more concerned with reliability. It's the head I leave at the practice space, my gigging head says home with me.

Also, the Genz might be easier to get rid of on the forum. They seem to be more desired than Ashdowns, and it still has a transferable warranty on it.

I'm leaning on keeping the Ashdown, but I like to hear what people have to say on the forum. More often than not, you people bring up things I never considered. I have a weird feeling in my belly about selling the Genz, I dunno why :(.