1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need to get rid of the bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pickerrr, Jan 29, 2013.

1. pickerrr

pickerrr

Hi guys, I have a SX SPJ62 bass, it has passive PJ set up, 2 vol knobs and 1 tone knob.

I really love the P (neck PU) on it's own. But I don't like the J (bridge PU). It's crappy and very noisy.

So I want to totally get rid of the bridge PU.

What should I do?
  2. line6man

line6man

Why not just refrain from using it? Taking the pickup out is going to leave you with an ugly open route.
  3. Cadfael

Cadfael

You like the sound of your P-Pickup ...

But the sound of your P is the sum of all restistors parallel (or serial) to PU and Jack ...

It you want to keep the sound 100% with making the J-PU out of function:
    "De-solder" (what's the correct expression???) the J-PU wire from the middle contact and solder it to ground (housing).

Effect: The J volume pot capacity is still parallel to the P-PU (like before). Both wires from the J-PU are grounded > same as putting the J-Knob to zero.

If you like to, you can screw the J-PU deeper into the body - or leave it as it is.

This is the way do deactivate the J-PU and keep the sound (99.9%) as it is ...
  4. pickerrr

pickerrr

You have a point. I might try that.

Why I wanna do it? Well...the P is a little noisy, too. I don't know if it's because the J and/or the J pot. So I want a pure P bass circuit.
  5. Cadfael

Cadfael

If you solder both J wires to GND, the J can not influence noise ...
    The pot is still in series - but that's just a 250K resistor.

The "little noise" might come from the preamp of your amp???
    Is the gain of the preamp as high as possible and the master volume of the amp as low to make the right volume?

The lower the preamp volume (mostly called GAIN), the higher the noise from the power amp (MASTER) ...

I recommend to play with a guitar player with distortion. Then you won't hear your noise ...
  6. pickerrr

pickerrr

Thanks man! I'll try to do some soldering then. And I'll tweak the amp a little.
    BTW, I've read the shielding thread here. I have some aluminium foil, can I do the shielding with this? And does the thickness of the aluminium foil matters?
  7. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Aluminum foil is a great shielding material, but tougher to solder to than copper foil. You need to solder a wire to the shield and to the sleeve contact on your output jack for the shielding to work.
  8. Cadfael

Cadfael

[humor on]
    A 3" Aluminium "foil" on the pickguard an on the back of the bass should to weel. Better would be 3" grounded Steel or 3" plumb. The 3" plumb might also shield the bass from a nuclear bomb 10 or more miles away ...
    [humor off]

Honest ...

Copper foil is mostly thicker and copper does not react as quick with air as alu does. The copper foil is better to cut into the right form.

Fender used thick brass plates in from the late 50s-80s ...
    But NOT for the cavity of the P-bass! There was only a grounded brass plate under the PU (and the aluminium pickguard or a pastic pickguard with alu foil). The Jazz Bass had brass plates under the pickups and in the cavity!

Copper foil is a method but ...
    At a certain point, cannabis products or better a relaxing training (also much cheaper!!!) are the best mehtod! It will still hum - but you don't mind! :smug:

Cool down! You produce music - not silence ...
  9. pickerrr

pickerrr

Noted.:)

I think I'm just a little perfectionism. Hmm, maybe you're right.
  10. pickerrr

pickerrr

It's true, you learn something everyday! Thank you, guys! I'll bypass the J-PU first, and see how it'll turn out. Fingers crossed!
  11. pickerrr

pickerrr

Quick one: I'm doing shielding now, If I totally disconnect (no wire attached) a pot, and I want to leave it there on the body, do I need to ground it? I mean, it's in the cavity, and it's metal.
    Second thought, I won't, because the pot will be touching the foil on the pick guard.
  12. Cadfael

Cadfael

Fender didn't do it on the Jazz Bass with its chrome plate ...
    But he did it on the alu pickguard or foil covered plastic pickguards ...

If the contakt isn't 100% but only 95% you get a probelem ...
    Metals react with oxygen. So, I would solder the GND connections (without "star").
    I would also ground the free pot because you can solder both wires of the J-PU onto the housing ...
  13. pickerrr

pickerrr

I did it! It works perfectly!!! Dead quiet!!!

Here's the before and after:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

All I did are the shielding and the "break the ground loop" thing. And I totally disconnect the bridge J-PU and the J vol pot.

Here's some pics:

Open the pick guard, what? No shielding at all!
    [​IMG]

What's this oil stuff?
    [​IMG]

The cavity is not shielded, either.
    [​IMG]

I only have these aluminium foil tape, the pick guard is done!
    [​IMG]

Then I took out the pickups, the wires and the pots, plugged in the iron, started soldering, first time! I forgot to take pictures, because I was very nerves! After shielding the cavity, finally, it's done!
    [​IMG]

Here's what I've done to the wiring:

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

I found an article on Guitarnuts, it's about shielding a strat, and it's very useful to me.
    http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014 at 3:58 AM
  14. pickerrr

pickerrr

I'm so excited!!! Thank you guys!!!
  15. dmusic148

dmusic148

Good job, enjoy!
  16. BassLife77

BassLife77

You ever hear P/J pickups ran in series? it's a powerful unique sound of its own. I would remove the unused pot and use the hole for a switch so I could switch between P solo and series mode
  17. Cadfael

Cadfael

GND to the "right" contact of the volume pot?
    Sorry - that's wrong?!

Series J ... Yes and no ...
    As the J is a SC, you will get humming again - as you need pairs (2/4/6/8 coils) to get the HB effect ...
  18. pickerrr

pickerrr

I don't know, but the end lug of the vol pot is used to bent back and soldered to the shell...So I assumed that's the ground. It works fine.