Need to make my P-J sound like Squire J-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by andk5591, Dec 20, 2013.

1. andk5591

andk5591

Have a Squire vintage modified 70s J- bass with the Duncan design stock pups. Bass is stock except for lacquered neck, better pots and a Gotoh bridge. DR Medium Hi-Beams - I have a fairly bright sound and primarily play with my fingers. Most of the night, both pups on, pretty much tone wide open and vol about on 8. The bass plays very well and EVERYONE loves the sound of it - my drummer, sound man and my wife in particular.

Problem is that I REALLY love playing a bass I built 30 or so years ago (have rebuilt it several times). Ash body explorer style with DiMarzio Model P and Model J. Shaller bridge. Some kind of Peavey neck on it. The pickups are wired for the "dual sound" and usually I run both on the thinner setting for a more "stock sound". But this thing does a LOT of different really good sounds, but my "90% of the night" setting is not as good as the Jazz.

Looking for a good direction to go for a pick up swap - dont want to reroute the body and LOVE the fat bridge pup sound with the tone rolled off some with the Dimarzio. But I dont use it much.

I may just give up and just use the Jazz for playing out and the explorer for my own enjoyment. But open to suggestions. Thanks.
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

It's ok if you go this route. I have some nice basses, and that darn VM jazz sure gets a lot of play time.
  3. andk5591

andk5591

Yeah - I know - I have a couple things that I want to try first though for the hell of it.