Need to replace my Dimarzio split P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Nov 16, 2013.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

I'm looking to possibly replace my split p pickup. I dig the sound of it but the output is so high that it makes my amp clip and make bad sounds. Especially the low E. I tried lowering the pickup but it's still happening. And as far as pickup height it concerned I do like to have it up close to the strings to act like a ramp. Right now it's far from the strings and clipping. Any suggestions for a different pickup? The split p is rated bass 8 mids 5 highs 6 (from their website). Deep highs and lows. Any similar pickups out there with less output?

2. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes

If you like the sound, you could just turn down the volume knob on your bass to prevent clipping.

3. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

4. jmceachern36

Good suggestion. Unfortunately I've tried that. The vol knob that goes to the pa is at about 8 o'clock and still clipping. 6 would be off. My other basses get set around 12 and I'm not close to clipping. When I set it around 7 it starts to sound a little muffled.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    Keep the PU, get a compressor.

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Lollar is the best Precision pickup that I have heard.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

Do this first: have the pickup rewired from series to parallel!

They sound much better that way, clearer and not overly loud and boomy. (This might be the only P pickup that does sound best in parallel.)

9. jmceachern36

I was wondering about this. Have you wired a split that way?

10. walterw

absolutely, that's why i suggested it!

since it's essentially two little humbuckers, in parallel the split P is still plenty strong, just more clear and balanced.

it ends up sounding kinda like one nice soapbar pickup.

11. jmceachern36

I'll try that. Sounds like a good solution.

12. walterw

it's easy!

the red wire still goes to hot, but the other wire from that same coil now goes to ground (i forget the color);

the green wire still goes to ground, but the other wire from that same coil now goes to hot.

you get two wires to hot and two to ground.

13. themarshall

themarshall

Try lowering it first. Free, easy and quick.

14. jmceachern36

How do I find out which? I looked on the dimarzio web site and it said red and white to ground/ green and black to hot. That would be the opposite. But it was talking about a guitar pickup.

15. walterw

that's reversed polarity, but the same wiring. if those colors are the same, i was saying green/black to ground, red/white to hot. either way would work, since you've just got one pickup in there.

my way would just leave the overall polarity the same as it was before.

16. jmceachern36

Ok great. I might actually be able to do that myself.

17. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

I had a Schaller pickup (same as your Dimarzio), and hated it for the same reason. Nothing helped with high output, not lowering pickups, nor changing series-parallel wiring. I sold it, and got SD spb1, and was much happier with it.

18. jmceachern36

That'll be the next step. I figure changing 2 wires will be at least worth a try. How's the output in the Duncan spb1?

19. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sounded just like you expect Precision to sound. I have read here on TB, that lots of people consider spb1 closest thing (on a tight budget) to original P.
    My bass was cheap SX, and still I got compliments on how it sounded. I eventialy sold for much more than I bought it for.

20. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Going to parallel might end up making the pickup sound better. Some of the character of it WILL be different however, so don't expect it to just magically lower the volume and sound exactly the same.

I'm a fan of Dimarzios as well, but they wind some RIDICULOUSLY hot pickups. My Will Power Middle P is no freakin joke lol

21. walterw

i've never heard a schaller pickup that was "the same" as any dimarzio (or as good, for that matter)

also, i didn't know schaller ever did a P pickup where each side was its own dual-blade humbucker; are you maybe thinking of the dimarzio model P, which had just one coil per side but with adjustable hex screw poles? schaller did make one that at least looked like that.