Need to vent

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

I have the best worst bass ever. LOVE the look, tone and feel but the thing is beyond temperamental when it comes to the action. Changes at the drop of a dime. I move it from the basement to my room. Action changes. Weather changes by more than a few degrees. Action changes. Season changes. Action changes.

It's been like this since I first got it (about 2 years ago, the longest I've ever owned a bass) and I think it's finally starting to get to me :meh:. I wouldn't mind so much if I could fix it up myself, which I could before but I'm pretty sure the truss is maxed now. Luckily, I can get it checked out at no cost (besides gas for the trip, lol). I just want it to stay the way I like it, ya know? I don't want to have to wonder how it's gonna play every time I pick it up.

*This bass is NOT at all representative of other basses of the same brand as far as the difficulties I've had to deal with. 99% of them are absolute beasts in terms of tone and playability.
  2. bassteban

bassteban

That has got to suck
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

if the rod is maxed and its boned, wont he make a new neck?
  4. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

It really does, dude.

I hope it doesn't have to come to that but I know I can't deal with this much longer. I guess I'll know by the end of the week or so.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

Keep it in a hard case. Sounds like changes in humidity are messing with it.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How often are you tweaking your truss rod, Kwesi? I've freaked out basses by overdoing it with the truss rod, but if you leave it alone for a year or two and adjust your action instead, they'll often calm down and be less temperamental.
  8. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

That's how my Wicks were; that's why I'll never play another W ever again :)
  9. Immigrant

Immigrant

All it takes is one or two bad ones to steer me away from a brand or line.

I will never own another Ibanez SR. Wimpy, rubbery necks that change just by looking at them sideways.
  10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

just play it in one room,.... forever!:bag:
  11. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Is it a EBMM? I've always known them to change with the humidity more because of the oil finish, but with the wheel truss rod adjuster it's much easier to do.

If not an EBMM, does your neck have an oil finish? Getting it sprayed in poly might help it not be affected as much.

Michael
  12. pgolliher

pgolliher

Sorry to hear that. I had an all Koa Carvin that was the same way. I had to adjust the neck constantly. I dont know if the Koa wasn't as strong enough or the neck was too thin, or both. I believe that Carvin has since started reinforcing their necks. It was so frustrating, especially since I have a couple of other basses that hold their set up so well. (one Fender, one Fender with Warmoth neck). My newest bass is also a Fender and it's neck was moving quite a bit, but it seems like it is settling in now. Get that situation fixed or get rid of the bass. It's not worth the headache.
  13. Mojo8ass

Mojo8ass Supporting Member

I have that exact problem with my Sterling HH.i bought the bass new in 2010 and the truss is pretty much maxed out already. It's sad because out of the twelve basses I own, it's my #1.
    I might have to go with a "classic"sterling next time. Maybe the gloss neck would help??
  14. elgecko

elgecko

I have a tung-oiled, koa neck that moves if you look at it funny.
  15. spade2you

spade2you

I have a 6 string with an acylized spalted maple fingerboard that moves a lot. I have other basses by the same builder and those don't seem to move much.
  16. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Every wood bass I've ever owned moved around enough for me to keep the allen wrenches out at all times. If you keep them setup on the gnats a$$ the changes in relief are very noticeable even though they're very small.

My Carvins both have 5 piece necks and the G&L has an older bi-cut; I have to tweak the rods about every 2 weeks on all of them.

The only workaround for this is probably going to be some kind of plastic neck, a composite like the Zon or the old Steinbergers or something like that.

I just accept it and keep the allens out...

LS
  17. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Ship it to Steve Mosher at Moses Graphite and tell him to install a new carbon-graphite neck with similar dimensions. He's done great work on my G&L over the years. But when he's not "in the office" the back up crew is hit or miss. Once right though it's spectacular!
  18. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

Reminds me of my stingray. It is worth the maintanence though though imo. Just have a truss rod tool handy at a gig, and you should be fine.
  19. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    Kwesi, PM me.
  20. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Kwesi, if I'm understanding youre description correctly, you've needed to repeatedly tighten the truss rod and over time it seems to have maxed (be adjusted as tight as it can go). Like that, yeah?

Sounds like a defect in the instrument, for sure. Seasonal adjustments, when things are working right, tend to offset each other (a little tighter one time, a little looser next time).

And I'm kinda fussy about neck relief, and needing to tweak it that often indicates a problem with the instrument.
  21. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I feel ya Kwesi;
    humidity swings here in MO can run from 90% in summer, to 40% in winter. Add in furnace drying the air out and it can get down into the 20's without a humidifier (which I have).
    Some of my basses I need to add or subtract relief several times a year. Some of them I never touch.