1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need Two New PA Speakers

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by vince a, Feb 11, 2013.

1. vince a

vince a

Unfamiliar area to me . . . I have about $3K to spend on a couple of PA (FOH) speakers. The old speakers are pushing 25+ years old, so we need two new ones. We have good monitors and some of us use IEMs, and . . . we have two JBL 18 inch subs . . . and we have lots of power . . . anyone have some good advice on which speakers to try/purchase in this price range? Thanks in advance.
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    You def won't need to spend $3k on 2 really nice mains.
  3. Wadge

Wadge

With two of my bands we use EV tops, the ZX5 with one band and the Tour X TX1152
    tops with the other. Both are 15-inch two-way full-range loudspeakers. The ZX5 are moulded plastic enclosures as opposed to the TX1152 and have a slightly higher power rating (600 W continuous, 2400 W peak - 132 dB maximum SPL) than the Tour X models (500 W continuous, 2000 W peak - 133 dB maximum SPL). They are also a bit lighter to carry.

To my mind the Tour X models sound a bit better but you'd probably be happy with either one.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing provided you buy used... and there's a lot available here in the Norfolk / VB area. Since you're using JBL 18" subs, you may want to consider going with a 2 or 3-way 12" enclosure as opposed to a 15". As I understand it, the 12's work better with vocal reinforcement.

Riis
  5. modulusman

modulusman

Says the guy who plays through Kustom and Behringer IIRC. For 3k he could buy some speakers actually worth owning that might last another 25 years. I would try and find some recently discontinued SRX 700 series speakers. JBL replaced them with the STX800 series but I'm not sure they are available yet. Another option would be to buy some powered tops such as the JBL PRX cabs.
  6. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    That was a cheap shot! Seriously! My Kustom rig is a backyard BBQ rig. I don't ever use that with my band on real performances! The band uses JBL tops/monitors and JBL powered subs and yeah a Behringer powered mixer+power amps. You gear snobs need to stop with the condescending remarks!

Even if I had the money, I wouldn't blow it all on 2 mains!
  7. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    What are the componants of your current rig?
  8. modulusman

modulusman

9. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    See there you go again with the cheap shots! :scowl:

I bought it 5 years ago for backyard BBQ events. I actually have a very nice personal PA I'm putting together. Just need a couple of powered subs and I'm done. And it's FAR from a Kustom rig!

It must be nice to have $3k to spend though! I don't! and I don't need to be denounced for it. And what 'expert' advice did I offer beside him not spending the entire $3k on 2 speakers? Quit picking on me and offer the man some hard line answers. I'd like to know myself.
  10. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

In terms of tops, what are the most taxing gigs are you doing (crowds, genre, ballpark SPL needed from the tops)?

It could even be that DWBass's casual gig rig makes sense for your needs. But I'm *guessing* from your subs and the age of your soon-to-be-retired tops that you're thinking of covering gigs that require something more ambitious, but that fall well short of requiring a call to Clair Bros. Who knows? maybe you have something more (or less) ambitious in mind.

It might well be that a pair of QSC K12s (or even K10s) on top of your subs will do for club dates, GB events, and low key outdoor gigs. I haven't even heard them yet, but the Mackie DLMs also *look* worth investigating for that same tier of gigs.
  11. longfinger

longfinger

Are you looking for passive speakers to work with an amp you already own? Or are you going to replace it all with powered speakers?
  12. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

why replace speakers because of age?!!:confused: just renovate them and pocket the change!;)
  13. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    +1
  14. modulusman

modulusman

My guess is since they are 25 years old they are heavy. PA has come along way in that amount of time.
  15. modulusman

modulusman

Go reread my original post I offered some suggestions in his price range.
  16. Vinny D

Vinny D

What type of music?
    Is weight a issue?
    Can you bi-amp the cab or do you prefer passive?
    New or Used?
    What do you have available for power for these cabs?
  17. vince a

vince a

Thanks everyone . . . I'll be taking your suggestions, recommendations, and questions with me tomorrow morning as the drummer, soundman, and I head out to test drive some speakers. To answer one question here . . . "Why not rebuild them?" . . . we just (three months ago) rebuilt our mains, and the left one blew again, right is OK. They're old EVs with a 15 inch sub, a horn, and all mounted in a blue travel-like box . . . no ideal of what the model number is, and it IS very heavy! Locally, we get good discounts at GC. I really like the JBL STX835 - they're just priced too high for our budget! But, we'll being looking at everything that was suggested above. Thanks again.
  18. vince a

vince a

Auditioned lots of speakers yesterday and did a lot of driving. Got a great deal on 4 three-way EAW FR153z speakers with four stands thrown in for free . . . retail for the speakers and stands plus tax was over $5,700 . . . paid $3,001.40 . . . loved the sound, the detail and clarity, and the dispersion . . . six year warranty. I think they'll be a good match with our JBL subs . . .
  19. longfinger

longfinger

Congratulations! $3K for 4 speakers is a lot better than $3K for 2 speakers that you were originally looking for. So how come you did not stop at $1.5K for 2 speakers?

80lbs per speaker! wow, you're still a strong man!
  20. vince a

vince a

Thanks . . . we purchased 4 speakers cause they were there . . . and we decided to run all four - it was a good deal . . . those 6 inch Italian mids are simply amazing . . .

Funny, they felt more like 75 pounds - J/K - I won't be lifting them, our soundman will be doing that - it's his job, and yes I'd be happy to help him. He helps me with my bass rig!