Need your help with a survey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monk3manth31st, Dec 19, 2012.

1. monk3manth31st

monk3manth31st

I am working to release a new bass next year. I need some input on the core concept if you could spare a few minutes. The survey is 10 questions and does not need your personal info.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z2FJQPH

2. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Do you have a spec sheet or could you give us the basic rundown? All we know is..
    A) You're trying to develop a bass
    B) It's going to employ an innovative retractable fret design
    C) You plan on offering 'P' and 'J' styles(body shapes or p'up configuration?)

We really need to know more than that to give you educated answers..

3. monk3manth31st

monk3manth31st

Most of the details are not decided on yet, such as the brand of electronics, the exact shape of the body, or the woods that will be offered. The current version is focused on the process used to move and position the frets. I am not looking for opinions whether or not the type of wood or shape of the body is desirable, but rather if you would be interested in a bass that could do what is advertised, which is provide a single bass with the ability to be either fretted or fretless.

4. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Oh it's an interesting concept,no question there!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joedog

Joedog

At first blush it sounds like a cool idea, but I'd be amazed if it works well. Continuing to work well is just as important, if not more so. I like simple, and this sounds complicated, with potential maintenance problems. If I wanted a fretless, I'd buy a fretless. Not meaning to be negative, but you asked for feedback. If you go for it, I hope it works out for you.

7. monk3manth31st

monk3manth31st

Just take the survey as if the bass functions as described and is available in your favorite color. If I can not get it to function as desired, then obviously I will not advance to a production stage.

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Well, I can't answer what I like best about a vague idea, nor what would make it better. The survey doesn't seem to do much to address any practical information for an idea- it's all geared towards an actual product with which the respondent has some experience.

Not that the idea is bad, but the survey methodology is poor.

John

9. MD

MD

I believe this bass already exists, and has been the focus of several threads here.

10. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I took the survey. Bottom line for me is I play about 50/50 fretted/fretless. And I would have no desire whatsoever for this convertible bass.

If I had a need to switch between fretted and fretless on the fly, I would probably also be wanting to change pickups and EQ settings, too, so just switching between fretted and fretless by itself would not help me.

If I'm switching between fretted and fretless as I go from one song to another, I'd rather just switch basses. I have not and do not gig much, but I haven't yet (and don't plan to ever) played a gig where I didn't take 2 basses anyway, just in case (an output jack fails or gets broken, a battery dies, a string breaks, etc., etc..).

11. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Haven't done the survey yet, but would the action be adjusted too? Cause that would need to drop as well with the frets, but for me to purchase it, I would need to be able to adjust the two different bridge/action levels... Which would then cause a bit of a re-tune.. Come to think of it, I'll just keep my two basses, a fretted and a fretless... Sorry.

EDIT TO ADD: Also, for this to work well. The frets would have to get extremely flat on the fingerboard for the fretless mode to work well. I mean, flat enough that you couldn't feel any dip or hump on the frets/fretlines when you run your fingers across the fingerboard. I had a lined fingerboard once, where I could just slightly feel a hump at some of the lines, and the strings would buzz off the line if I played in the right spot. This would seem like your hardest task, and would have to be accurate every time you switch modes regardless of how the relief is setup on the neck at the time.

12. carl h.

carl h.

Action/intonation shift and fret wear/lined fretboard would keep me from having much interest in this sort of product.

I prefer unlined fretless and this sounds like a failure waiting to happen at the most inconvenient time.