Needed: A Good Intro Book on Rockabilly Bass

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by TonyBlues, Apr 6, 2014.

1. TonyBlues

TonyBlues

I've been playing bass guitar for over 30 years, and will be getting my first upright in a few weeks. My interests involve mostly rockabilly, country, and blues.

Can anybody recommend a good book/cd combination or video introduction to rockabilly bass?

Thanks.

2. tyb507

tyb507

Lee Rocker has one, Nicolas Dubouchet has a DVD called "Slapology". John Hatton (Brian Setzer's bassist) is putting a book/DVD out sometime this year, that's one to look out for!

3. FatBoutedGirls

FatBoutedGirls

Lee Rocker was not helpful. Slapology is in french and hard to find, "the art of slap bass" is what I just got and as soon as I watch it I'll tell you what I think of it.

MemphisEvil on YouTube has a couple helpful slap demonstrations. I'm guessing you just need some slap tips? Or do you want fingering instruction as well?

4. Zoa

Zoa

The dubbed version of Slapology was great.

Also check out the Upright Bass Players Union on Facebook, that's where all the lowbrow players hang out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. viking power

viking power

Didi Beck's book "Rockabilly Slap Bass" was a great help for me. He also has a DVD but I believe it's in german so I didn't buy it.