1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

needing a bass rig, the sequel

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Feb 4, 2013.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Man...you guys were right...!

Was supposed to audition with these guys on Wednesday, and, uh...
    [​IMG]
    It's okay, you can laugh because I'm laughing too.

So, uh, not sure what to do now. :eek: I'm thinking, hold em off til Friday, get SOMETHING, count on the fact that my rent check doesn't always go through until the middle of the month, then return the something until I can really afford what I really want, 'cause I'm just slick like that.

Go figure, right?! :D
  2. zachoff

zachoff

A lot of places will rent gear... Cheaper option and you'll not feel like you have to buy something right away.
  3. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

No budget whatsoever at the moment, eh? Thinking craigslist for a cheap peavey 1x15. Should be able to get something usable (giggable, even) for $100.
  4. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

I have a few hundred I can spare. Unless I buy with the intent of returning it...Hopefully I'll figure something out!
  5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Don't do that. That's not slick, that's slimy. You're potentially screwing the retailer, landlord, and person who may wind up buying your returned item, for an audition that may or may not pan out.

Borrow an amp from a friend.
  6. Waffles and Scotch

Waffles and Scotch

Agreed
  7. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

8. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Wow, perfect.

You guys are totally awesome.

And jive1, you are right...it's a common stunt that art departments on low-budget film sets often pull. Why would I wanna stoop that low? :p
  9. NWB

NWB

Maybe you could flip that Sterling that you just bought for some amp-cash?
  10. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

The Sterling? From my cold dead hands! :D

I think the MB115 looks promising. If I don't get that, I'll just tell the band the truth and see what happens. If I don't get to try out because of not having an amp, that's life for now and it's one less thing to worry about...I'll just keep saving my money and wait until I have enough to comfortably spend.
  11. NWB

NWB

FWIW, just saying that, given your present situation, it appears that an amp would be a higher priority than a new bass.
  12. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

good amp at a very good price. Definitely gig-able in smaller clubs. Lightweight, too.
  13. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

NWB, yes and no. I dropped the band that had tried to get me to buy a rig before (and tell me which one to buy, nonetheless! uh, thanks?! ha). As far as these guys go, I figure I'll find SOMETHING just to audition, start there, and basically kinda cross that bridge when I come to it. I guess what I'm saying is, the Sterling came along-granted-a random time and I knew I wasn't likely to find a similar price.

So I jumped on it with the gut feeling that since I knew I wanted one sooner or later, I might as well get the better deal sooner, instead of having to wait and get an average deal and spend more.

By the time the situation with "needing" a rig (like I said, if I play my cards right, it's not necessarily a total emergency right now) came up, I'd already committed to the Sterling. So I dunno. If it were sort of an impulse-buy, cheaper bass that was more common, I'd be inclined to consider flipping it. But because of the fact that I really set my heart on it and was so surprised to come across it, I would prefer to hang onto it.

By hanging onto the Sterling, all that really means is that my financial cushion temporarily deflates until my tax return check comes in, which is money I already allotted for bass gear.

As impulsive as all of this might seem, believe it or not I give this stuff a lot of thought...it's just that I realize sometimes you have to act fast.
  14. NWB

NWB

That's good.:D

I was just trying to offer a different perspective. It sounds like your TR will get you where you need to be and that GK combo looks like a winner too.
  15. oldrocker

oldrocker

You want to join a band and you don't have an amp? :confused:
  16. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

You live in Queens! You are bound to know somebody you can bum a rig from! There are a gagillion people within 20 feet of you right now! Some of them are bass players.
  17. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

No dude. I'm in 2 bands, I have a bass head which I run thru the PA, and I'm auditioning for a 3rd which requested I have a rig...which I've wanted to get for a while anyway now that I have more of a budget to spend.
  18. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

@two fingers: I'm workin on it! ;-)
  19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Did you miss out on the GK? That would have been the duck's nuts. Cheap, light and loud enough.
  20. klejst

klejst

A lot of good suggestions. I say either rent, borrow, buy the suggested GK combo or simply tell the band straight up your situation. That is up to you. But start saving your pennies. Good deals can be had on your local Craigslist as you can see, however perhaps also look into Guitar Center's used gear on their website. A lot of good stuff on there too most times. Cheap Peavey cabs and amps for example pop up on there all the time. And ordering off there you also get the 30 day return, can ship it to your local Guitar Center store where you can look it over and try it all out before you even leave the store just in case there may be something wrong with it.