1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Needing a lighter option.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Basstalk86, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Basstalk86

Basstalk86

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions on a new cab replacement. My current rig is an Orange AD200 ran through an Aguilar DB 8X10. I love this set up and it gives me the exact tone that I want. I need the bright over tones while maintaining the low end punch. The DB 8X10 is a ported cab and it makes a significant difference in tone compared to an Ampeg. However, I tour very often and I'm getting tired of lugging the ole fridge around. I wanted to see what some of you had to offer. I'm not interested in Ampeg nor do I want to use 4X10/1X15 stack. I want other ideas or combos to try. I need something that will help me maintain the punch and solid highs for a bright tone.

Any ideas?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are a couple higher-efficiency 6x10's you could try. There are the Greenboy and Fitzmaurice super-efficient modern designs. Also you could use a bi-amped rig, with your lows going to a 4x10 and your highs going to a small high-frequency box, or to a guitar combo amp.

3. Linnin

Linnin

Are you planning on keeping the Orange amp or is that also history?

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

Two DB 4x10's? 4x12's?
    fEARFUL 15/6/1?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Basstalk86

Basstalk86

I'm for sure going to keep the Orange. It gives me all I need and more.

7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    greenboy Dually. 60 pounds and it smokes most 810's.

8. Linnin

Linnin

"The DB 810 is one of the loudest bass cabinets on the market, providing a Max SPL of 136 dB!"

Do you need all that volume and move all that air?

Dimensions: 46" H, 24 1/2" W, 18" D

Weight: 184 lbs

Youch! I can see why you would want to downsize.

9. Basstalk86

Basstalk86

The answer is no, I don't lol I was younger and naive at the time i purchased the 8X10. After touring so much (6-8 months a year) I realized how unnecessary the 8X10 is. I did do my research at the time and was trying to pair the Orange to a cabinet that had a high db rating. Most venues though run you DI. I'm lucky to have a night when the mic my cab and run me DI. It's just becoming more of a dead weight than providing me with real purpose. It still sounds amazing though lol

10. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    I toured with two Fender 810Pro's for years. I just figured if I wanted 'my tone,' then I'd have to schlep two 170lb cabs. Never really bothered me much. Now I get a sound I much prefer that's just as loud and powerful outdoors at a fraction of the weight and I'm not complaining. I wasn't looking for lighter cabs, per se', but I'm thrilled the newer designs suit me better and my heaviest cab (that I'd take over any 810 out there) weighs about 74 lbs :)

11. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I'm under the impression that the DB 810 is an extremely capable cab, using custom woofers that are significantly more capable than most 10's. That is going to be a tough act to follow.

You may be well aware of this, but just in case, there's an inevitable tradeoff relationship between box size, efficiency, and bass extension. As the box size goes down, you either lose bottom end extension or efficiency, or some combination thereof. It sounds to me like you want to keep that Orange amp, so you probably don't want to trade off efficiency.

How would you characterize the DB 810 through the midrange region (say, 200 Hz to 2 kHz)?

What sort of tweeter setting do you use?

Thanks!

12. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    OP!!! Definetely pick this guys brain...one of the best cab designers of all time!

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

With the efficiency and performance we get nowadays, I can't see how one would need anything bigger than a 2x12 our 4x10. Good ones cost money though.

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Food for thought ~

Here's the problem - if you really love the sound/tone of your rig - changing or swapping the cab for another will also change the sound/tone of your rig.

So the question is - do you want to risk losing the sound/tone you currently have? If so there are many options, you even mentioned a combo - but, if you're not willing to accept a change of sound/tone - then keep what you have.

15. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Thank you very much, your Dukeness!

Basstalk86, my fellow Duke here also builds very high quality, high output lightweight cabs, many of which have truly massive low end. Mine generally trade off some of that low end for smaller size and lighter weight.

The good news is, there are options out there that will roughly cut your cabinet weight in half, if you're up for "boutique".

16. Basstalk86

Basstalk86

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I am willing to adapt to new sounds and I might even find something more that I like.

17. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Then hang with DukeLeJeune (you won't find anyone better qualified to help you on TB than him) and try to answer the questions he asked you about your tweeter settings and the mid freq's in you current cabinet the best you can.

Good luck and best wishes with your search.