Needing advice on an amp...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dukey donkey, Aug 17, 2012.

1. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

I'm currently running a Kustom deep end 300 with a GK 412 cab.. I'm getting overwhelmed by my guitarists. They're both running full 8x12 stacks.... blasting me out of the water... I need some advice on what I can do to get the soul shattering lows and clean mids and highs that cut through the mix that I desire... at lower volumes, my rig does fine... but I'm having to pull the gain up so much and drive the head so hard that I'm basically running with full on overdrive and my sound is muddy as hell... I'm playing on a Gibby T-bird so I know its not the instrument's fault... I just want a good clean sound with a measure of warmth and plenty of volume... and low end you can feel...
    I'm thinking of running a 2x15 cab and adding a power amp... but the 412 I have is a 4ohm, so I'd have to replace the speakers... right? I'd hate to change anything about my 412.. its vintage and as far as I can tell the speakers are original and in really good shape... its a beauty of a cab sonically... so any other suggestions?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    First and fore most what is your budget? You want to go big, you need a lot of cash. My rig is stupid loud, but it wasnt cheap.

Second, if you are adding a power amp why would you have to change the speakers in your cab? I wouldnt change anything about your cab, I would be looking for a new cab or several new cabs. A lot of this will depend on your budget.

Thirdly, why FFS do your guitards both need 812 rigs? Go disconnect their bottom cabs, and make them stand in front of the top cabs with out ear plugs.
  3. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

well I'm pretty open budget-wise... I'm buying around income tax time... I agree with you on the 8x12 deal... those jackasses both suffer from guitarist syndrome... its genetic I think. I still want to stay in a reasonable price range though. As far as the speaker change out it would be to make the cab an 8ohm instead of a 4ohm...
  4. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Whats open? Put a cap on it as it will narrow what you get. It will also cost you more to change speakers than to buy something existing. Get your guitards to turn down, its the easiest on your wallet.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

well short of an act of god, getting em to turn down is not much of an option... not saying that I don't enjoy the volume...our jam room is large, and we play some pretty heavy stuff... my budget I'd cap off at 2 grand I'd say...
    I'm fortunate enough around income tax time to get enough to afford that... trust me, I'm ANYTHING but rich...
  7. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

http://www.kustom.com/Content/20103/DE300HD-OwnersManual-RevA_Final_31MAR2009ra.pdf

On page 6 there is some info on the back panel of the head you have.. Apparently the head has a Pre-amp out that doesn't disturb the connection between your head's Pre and power section, and is post EQ. Most heads have this..

What this means is that you can run your head and cab as normal and then plug the Preamp Out to the Power Amp you're looking to buy.. Than connect that new power amp to the new cab you're looking to buy..

Long story short.. You don't need new speakers for your cab :bassist:
  8. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

Now comes the personal opinion part.. I'd probably stick to 12s and maybe run a 212 on on top of your 412.. The GK 412s I see sit kind of High.. So maybe adding another layer of 12s on top will help get some bass up to your hear level.

Considering that you're in a big rehearsal space, try different parts of the room too..

I also rehearse with an obnoxiously loud guitard and I feel your pain. That's why i'm getting a rig of doom.
  9. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

killer... I think that'd be an option... since I love the way my rig sounds I just need a bit more OOMPH ... know anything about the Basszilla cabs from Krank?
  10. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

You could look @ buying a double cab Acoustic 371, or an Acoustic 320 with a 408 both are Marshall stack eaters.
  11. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Ok, two grand.

Find a used fEARful 1515/66 or look at a fEARless 215, find a used power amp that pushes around 1,500+ into 4 Ohms. Use your DI out on your head as a pre amp.
  12. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

ok, lets say I don't want to spend my entire budget on a cab... lol
  13. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Power amps are cheap. You can get a killer one for around $200 used. If you want volume, it comes down to cab. If you like your current cabs tone by itself, then get a second or maybe a third one. Pair those with a power amp that can run them.

For power I recommend a peavey IPR 1600. it will run 2 Ohms per side so you can run one cab per side, or two on one, and a third on the second channel.
  14. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

what sucks is I have an unidentified GK cab and I've never seen another one. Otherwise I'd surely get more of them... the model just says "Model 412" hell.. I don't even know the rms on it...
  15. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Then dont mess with it and dont mess it up. Grab two used 810s for cheap, and get enough power.
  16. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

any info on the Bugera Nuke? I'm thinking about retiring my rig to a studio setup and just starting fresh... I was thinking pairing it with a couple of large cabs... maybe an 8x10 and a 2x15?
  17. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Bugera has a bad name around here because its associated with Behringer.

No reason to mix cabs. Find two used 810's of the same model and rock out.
  18. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

The nuke from my understanding is a no go. It is impossible for a head to be rated at the amount of wattage they state it is.. I don't even think it's possible for a wall outlet to provide that amount of power.. So the specs are definitely skewed.. and very skewed at that.
  19. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

sounds good... I'm sure with 16x10's I should get the guitarists' attention.
  20. dukey donkey

dukey donkey

any info on the acoustic b810? I've seen em for under 400 dollars
  21. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Two 810's a beefy power amp, and your choice of pre.