Neighbor will pound on the walls but won't talk to me

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Monster Truck, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

Just need to vent for a minute.

I had my nephews sleep over last night. They are 5 and 7. So kids being kids they play on the floor, run around my apartment, and talk loudly when they get excited.

My downstairs neighbor is a grandmother and babysits her 4 grandchildren nearly every day. Those kids are just as loud as my nephews.

Anyway, about 10 minutes after my nephews arrived last night this woman starts pounding on the walls, and did so another 30 or 40 times last night.

This morning we went out for breakfast, when we came back she pounded on the walls again before we could even get up the stairs. The pounding continued for the rest of the morning.

About an hour ago my brother came to pick up the kids and he had his father-in-law with him. So the kids, excited to see their grandfather, begin talking loudly. The woman went CRAZY. She started pounding, yelling, stomping, throwing things, the whole nine yards. My brother and his FIL were like 'what the heck?' so I told them what was going on. I walked them outside and my brother, loud enough for the neighbor to hear said, "Thanks for taking the kids, Kenny. It's just too bad children aren't welcome here."

After the kids left I knocked on her door to try to talk to her. She didn't answer, not that I can blame her, she probably knows she was in for an earful.

Now as I sit here typing this, I'm listening to one of her grandkids cry, while 2 or 3 more run around her apartment. Does she think I can't hear this?

I've never complained to the building manager, but I'm definitely voicing my complaint on Monday morning. Not only about this, but her daughter (who I think is living there off the lease) constantly parking in my spot, and the stench of her cigarette smoke. My brother even said he was going to call the manager on my behalf.

Rant over. Thanks for listening. Also, before anyone asks, I practice bass with headphones, and I'm not at home about 10 hours a day.

FOOTNOTE: Her grandson is still crying, and she just yelled, "Shut up! What are you, on your period?! Classy, huh?
  2. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

Wow man I feel for you and I don't miss apartment living. On a lighter note maybe she didn't answer when you knocked cause her hands were too swollen from all the pounding and she couldn't turn the knob. Talk to your apt. Manager and have that person in your apartment to witness her craziness.
  3. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

This is kinda me...

But to be fair i never make any noise so it's not like i'm being hypocritical about it. But with loud neighbors, i'd much sooner pound the floor or ceiling or wall then have to confront them.... Once i even left a note under their door. Then they came to see me and i did pretend i wasn't there.... Am i a pussy? Probably. Anyway, this one, eventually that happened again and i had to go see her and she was fine about it. But i had one once that had a crazy bf (well she was too, and i knew because i could hear their arguments in detail all the time) and who refused to turn down his music once when he was there alone. The greatest thing about it? HE DIDNT EVEN LIVE THERE (like the apt was his gf's, he was just there sometimes). Some people....

It's terrible where i am cause there's a lot of students and often from outside the city, or even country, so they came here to study and they're young so its party time all the time and do they care about the neighbors? Hell no, because they don't have to stay here. they'll be gone in 6 months. Try to get their landlord to care too.... Terrible. I don't get it though. Not having any social manners like this..it is just beyond me.

As for old people, some of them just can't bear to have young neighbors though. I used to have this friend, she lived in an apt and everytime i was there the old couple downstairs would pound the ceiling. We didnt do ANYTHING. we talked and oh yeah..sometimes walked... they just hated the idea of anyone having a social life i think....the cops came once and they didn't qute know what to say or make of it because obviously we were being reasonably quiet (aside from all that damn walking..to be fair though, if you're a girl and wear heels FOR **** SAKE don't wear them in the house if you have downstairs neighbors...).

Definitely, any persisting issue, contact landlord. Though some of them are little help sometimes.... it depends how cheap the place you rent is, basically...
  4. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

Yeah, I don't expect the manager to do much....until I tell her of my suspicion of the daughter living there off the lease.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Just wondering...does the lady have any hearing issues? If she does, I'm thinking the vibrations from above would be more prominent to her than the treble noise coming from her own grand children. Which could be why she might think you are the one making all the noise and oblivious to her own disturbances.
  7. phantomfiddler

phantomfiddler

8. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

As I read this...from my back porch, I can just barely make out the neighbors rooftop.
    I think I will go inside and put on pantera as loud as possible.....and then come out here and mow the lawn and not even listen to it.

Apt living? No thanks.

Good luck OP!
  9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I was in a similar situation a few years back.

3rd floor apartment with hardwood floors. We were long time tenants.

We would just live our lives like normal and that was a problem for a the person that moved in below us. We would walk around like normal and she would be downstairs pounding on walls and screaming at the ceiling.

Wanting to be considerate neighbors, we discussed the issues with her, and we tried to make concessions. We made agreements like taking our shoes off when we were at home and trying to be as quiet as possible. We would never entertain company.

Short of levitating, we really restricted our lives in order to accommodate this person, but it was never good enough and for that reason alone I abandoned my good neighbor policy. Not to mention that she had a habit of watching her TV on full blast and we never once complained about that.

This woman's lunacy continued for a while.

That Christmas morning we had my sister in law and her kids gathered at our place prior to going over to another family member's house for festivities. Kids being kids were excited and noisy (and of course I'm cringing the entire time knowing this was going to draw the ire of this b****), this woman (who admitted having a migraine induced by drinking the eve prior) proceeds to pound on the walls and scream at the ceiling. This caused my wife to cry and was pretty much the final straw for me. You don't make my wife cry on Christmas.

I let the Christmas incident slide but not but a few days later for whatever reason she started pounding on the walls and screaming at the ceiling I screamed right back. "STFU you B".

That's all it took to shut her up for good. She moved out a few weeks later. We hadn't had a problem after that.

It must be said that we wound up moving into a house a little while after that and haven't looked back. Living in a house is way better than apartment living.
  10. groooooove

groooooove

start cooking indian food. lots and lots of kuri......

neighbors love that...

complain to anyone who will listen. keep trying to talk to her. if that fails start hosting rehearsals at your place.
  11. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My neighbors are all up in my face all the time. Here is what they look like, from my barn roof:

[​IMG]
  12. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Try it the nice way. Report to manager. If that doesn't work, simply fight fire with fire. Every time her grandkids start being noisy, simply bang the crap out of the floor. While this is going on MAIL her a letter. (That way she is sure to see it.) Simply state in the letter that you both can keep carrying on like stupid children, or you can get together and have a calm discussion like grownups.
  13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Kill her.

No wait, that's probably a bad idea.

Maybe pound on the walls/floor/whatever whenever she makes noise. See how she likes it. If that don't work, THEN kill her. lol

*disclaimer-

^
    Do not listen to this man.
  14. sevdog

sevdog

This is a bass forum. Don't you have a bass amp? Next time she pounds on the wall just crank it up to 11 and see if she likes Sunshine of Your Love or Iron Man.
  15. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Our neighbors used to walk to our house from like a 1/4 mile down the street and complain about our dog occasionally barking at night. After us doing absolutely nothing about the complaints, they eventually moved away or sucked it up. Nobody else around us complains about the dog (gotten death threats about dirtbikes at 4:00pm, though haha).

I would fight fire with fire if management refused to do anything about her. Lay my cabinet speakers against the walls or floor and crank the crappiest music I could find while stomping on the floor. Put chairs or obnoxious signs on the parking spots, let air out of tires when they move said chairs and signs (obviously putting a warning about the air thing on the signs is a good idea). Have parties, buy a pair of cowboy boots just to wear around the house. Play smoke on the water all day with my stage rig.
  16. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

Sounds like she may be crazy. Talk to the manger. Have the daughter's car towed if she keeps parking in your space. Pound back when her kids make noise.
  17. Immigrant

Immigrant

Recording her isn't a half bad idea. It could be proof of her being a bad grandma when you call children services on her for being a D bag.
  18. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

yeah i always say that. Like if i have a neighbor annoying me with music i've been known to say to my gf, "let see them keep it up, if they wants to fight me, i have a bass and an amp."

I've never done it. But i like the idea that i could if they pushed me.... i'd walk up to their door and knock and stick the head of my bass to their neck and go "Don't push it, don't push it or i'll give you a war you won't believe. Let it go....let it go...."

I forgot i wanted to mention that i have an upstairs neighbors that pretty much seems on the verge of destroying their bed and wall everytime they have sex. Thankfully either he changed gf or they've grown tired of each other, it used to happen daily, sometimes more than once now its not even once a week. I hate the piledriver ****ers. I hope for his sake that's how she likes it.
  19. hover

hover

She is passive aggressive and thinks she has the upper hand on you. Don't stand for it. It's bull indeed, but go through the proper channels, don't stoop to her level, tho it's easy to do so. Don't do anything rash that gets your tires slashed.

I do however like the idea of getting her car towed for being in your spot. Assigned parking is a contracted agreement I assume? If so, they cannot dispute your actions.

But seriously, get a paper trail going. List and log your complaints, and anything submitted to the landlord / manager, have them certified. You have every right as her to live in your dwellings, and coexist, and it sounds as tho you've been respectful, the very opposite of her.

I hate idiots like this. No matter how hard you try to be peaceful and neighborly, you always ruffle some idiots feathers.
  20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I've lived in several apartments over the past five and a half years. My favorite place was an apartment on the top floor and at the very end corner of the entire complex. It never got loud. In fact, I don't think I ever heard my neighbors more than once or twice over the entire three years that I lived there.

The current place I live in, however, is an absolute **** show. I'm on the first floor, and my bedroom's wall is right next to a very popular walkway that most people use at all hours of the night and morning. If that wasn't bad enough, I have several neighbors that will stay up until three in the morning on a Tuesday/Wednesday parting. I also have another neighbor who has a very disobedient dog, and every morning at seven I'll hear him yell his dog's name for ten minutes straight to try to get it to come inside.

This place has completely turned me off to apartment living. Whenever my girlfriend and I move in together I'm going to try my hardest to find a house for rent. I figure that would be a much more sound and worthwhile investment.
  21. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Write down a few conversations between her and grandkids and hand them to her with a request to dial it down and lay off the banging.