1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Neighbors cooking with curry...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

EVERY...SINGLE...DAY!!! MORNING, NOON, AND NIGHT!

I live in a high rise building with close proximity to neighbors, and this has been going on for months. I it makes me gag and makes me very nauseous to the point where I get headaches. I vomited after coming back into my apartment after a nice hard workout one morning.

The stench literally wakes me AND my girlfriend (who can barely smell anything her allergies are so bad) up at 7-730am. The putrid odor just seeps into my apartment. I feel like it's gotten worse lately, too...maybe because the weather outside is heating up and our hallways aren't air conditioned...

It literally smells like someone is taking a handful of curry and throwing it onto a frying pan at full heat. EVERYDAY. Like someone opened an Indian restaurant.

My jackets and winter coats that hang in my hallway closet by the door are starting to absorb the odor :meh: I can only imagine how bad the tenants' clothes and apartment smell. I reckon they'll have to demolish the kitchen when they move out.

I'm not exaggerating. Last week, this guy was in the elevator when we were heading downstairs, and he asks, 'Does it still smell God-awful on your floor?'

Anyone have experienced something like this? Any suggestions?

Luckily, I'm moving in July, but this has been going on for months. I'll probably just stick it out until I move. I feel bad for whoever moves into my place next though...:scowl:

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Call me weird but I actually love curry :)

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't recall curry smelling the way you describe it. Maybe it's something else? Like Relic, I like curry, so it wouldn't bother me. Although I'd be hungry all the time. :)

If it bothered me, I would stop by the apartment and let the tenant know how I feel in a completely diplomatic way with the goal of making a friend more than making sure they do what I want.

-Mike

4. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Start stir-frying with fish sauce every meal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Curry, or Cumin or something? Its one of those middle eastern spices. In fact, I walked by a new Indian restaurant that opened down the street from my office and the exact odor that wafted outside made me stop in my tracks, 'Oh crap', I thought, 'That's the SMELL!!!'

I had pinpointed it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Indian food. I love food in general. I don't eat Indian much, but when I do, it's always delicious. I'm sure whatever they're cooking over there is delicious too. (It must be, they cook it every single day). But the odor is so thick I could cut it with a knife and it makes my eyes water.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    I'd love it myself. You probably just have neighbors that cook traditional Indian meals. Nothing you can do about it- you can't ask a family to stop eating.

What's gross for me is a house down the street that cooks fried chicken a lot and smokes indoors, and during the summer when I walk past their place, those smells get blown out of the air conditioner. Nasty mix- I always hold my breath.

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

This is where I'm coming up short on my approach.

How do u walk over, knock on the door and say, "Hey, Whatcha cookin?" I just don't know how to address it. And I'm sure the other 8 or so tenants on our floor can smell it too. Funny thing is, I don't even live right next door to the people- there is one apartment between us. I can't IMAGINE how bad it smells for them.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

+1

Its a great smell and tastes delicious.
    I guess I can empathize with having to smell an odor that is unfavorable all day and night, but really, I dont think there is much one can do.

Aside from this:

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

I feel your pain, ST. I used to live upstairs from a family that cooked kimchi daily. It made me gag every time I walked in and out of my apartment.

11. MatticusMania

I had a neighbor at my old condo who would cook kimchi almost every day. I loved that smell, too.
    And if it wasnt kimchi, it would be some other delicious smell.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I know that smell and if it is used like you say its is really bad. It will make everything including the person who eats it reak of it. I used to work in the apartment biz and lets just say that smell was next to impossible to get rid of after renters left who used it.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I fixed the punctuation. If the smell is that bad, I don't blame the OP for complaining......:bag:

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Invite them to your house for a meal. When they ask what to bring, you can suggest a curry. Then that opens the door to talk about it in a non-confrontational way.

-Mike

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

I know a lot of guys here saying they'd love it, but really...I think if you caught one wiff of this stench, you guys would probably gag. Like take a pile of onions and curry and throw in on a pan at full heat...at 7am. It's THAT thick. And it wouldn't really bother me if it was after work or even during the day, but every morning? How 'bout a bowl of oatmeal or cereal? :smug:

Like I said, I love food and the way food smells, I'm REAL into food, actually...this is a putrid odor that has found it's way into my cozy bed and up through my nostrils every single morning. So bad that people on other floors have noticed...

And you're right Bryan, I can't just ask someone to stop making meals. That's where I draw the line...I would never ask someone to do that.

I have to hopefully neutralize the smell in my apartment. So far I have incense, and burned some of that this morning. It's the strongest stuff they have, according to my friend at the head shop down the street. I also have a can of Ozium which seemed to have helped this morning. Shot a spray out in the hallway too, but I don't like to overuse this, as I heard it's harmful to pets.

16. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Just a polite knock on the door and talk about it. Maybe they can open the window or turn up the extractor or something?

I have both Indian and Chinese families living in the building, so the hallway usually smells pretty awesome :)

(oh, and there's a few stoners too, adding a bit of herb to the mix).

17. MatticusMania

Is it that stressy dirtweed smell, or more of that "Damn a skunk died in the hallway" kush vibe?

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

19. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

It's an extremely common thing your not alone, this is something that is the source for tons of meeting within your building I can assure you.

It is a very distinct smell that tends to follow Indian families and it is because of a mix of different things they use to cook with.
    The food is definitely good but much of it is pretty strange to the average American.

My girlfriend has been in property management for going on her second decade and it is a common issue within her buildings that all of the non-Indian neighbors complain about.
    There really is nothing you can do and remember this, THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO EITHER.
    That's their food, it's their traditions their culture and it would be wrong to ask them to not make their dishes. They are entitled to eat their food just as much as your entitled to have a burger & fries or s salad it whatever it is you enjoy.

You can rest assure that just about every single inner city high rise will have at least a floor or two with this smell and you'll also notice that other families of other cultures give off food odors as well and all of them can be pretty offensive to someone that's not used to it.
    It is a thick and pungent smell and even they know it.
    But they are used to it and have been around it their entire lives.

All you can do is try and have some understanding to why this situation exists and understand that if they could do something about it odds are that they would.

Maybe get to know them they're usually very nice people and while I wouldn't eat some of their food with your fork and Matticus chewing it there are some dishes that are incredible and will open your eyes to some great cuisine from their world.
    My ex wife was Korean and they too had a strong smell in her parents house, and they also had some off the wall food but once you try some things you'd be really surprised that some is actually really good.
    I never thought I'd eat octopus pancakes but I'll be damned if they weren't some of the best food I've ever had.

Just be patient soon you'll be out of there and this is something to keep in mind when selecting your next home.
    I think you may benefit from a house instead of living in a building with many other people from all over the world.

I'm not sure where you live but my G/F was working a few different high rise buildings in Fairfax Va and the Indian and middle eastern population their is massive so it's in almost every building in the area.

If it makes you feel any better I know exactly what you mean and can't stomach the smell myself but never to the point of throwing up. It's not that bad for me.
    However I grew up with an older brother who had some horrible gas problems and wasn't shy about sharing his magic powers with everyone.
    I'm conditioned to handle some foul stuff.

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Thanks for the post, 1HIT (and Phalex. Made me LOL...twice)

Also, I'm glad a few of you know where I'm coming from.

I'm VERY sensitive to the subject of their culture and traditions. That is probably the reason I've never said anything. In fact, I don't think they even speak English. It's a younger couple, maybe 35, with a 2 year old boy who just moved in this past Winter (I'd guess). I say hello and smile when I see them in the hallway or outside, and they awkwardly smile back, but I don't think they know much English to start a conversation.

I'd have a hard time bringing this up to them at all, and I'm moving at the end of July, so I don't feel it's my place to bring it up at this point.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience and share mine. Also if anyone has any ideas for what I can do inside my own apartment to make my living situation a little more comfortable for my last few weeks in this building. Like I said, I've got some strong incense to burn and Ozium for starters.

21. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

[​IMG] :D