Neo speakers...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mike in Chicago, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Hows everyone like their neo speakers? Ive had them a couple months, and they seem ok.

2. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Hi my name is Mike and I'm a cab whore. IMHO, I've owned Schroeder, Markbass, Genz and Bergantino neo cabs and all have left me wanting in some way. I'm back to ceramic Epifani cabs and I'm happy.

It all comes down to overall design. Which neo cabs are you using?

3. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

My Markbass 4x10 is the only neo cabinet I've ever owned, and it's easily my favorite cab out of all I've ever played. I get compliments on my live tone all the time, and noticeably moreso since I added the neo cab. Granted, I do not have a super bass-heavy sound so it's difficult for me to comment on whether it lacks low end response or thickness.

4. Mike in Chicago

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dkelley

dkelley

Traynor 112 cab with an upgraded emminence deltalite ii neo 12".

Insane driver that is awesome in every way.

Competent, while very simple/traditional design, little light ported cab.

I heard a much more high end cab with the same aftermarket emminence driver and it blew me away how much stronger and meatier the output was, while the cab I'm using, even down to the port, matches the specs for this driver to a tee (I used to do loudspeaker design many decades ago).

So it shows that some of the fancier cabinets out there can have honest clear audible improvements to your sound and level.

However, keeping in my the basic cab I'm using, the neo driver is without a doubt absolutely exceptional.

7. David Jayne

David Jayne

I have an SWR 4x10 Golight that I love and an Epifani UL310 that I hate.

8. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I traded in my Eden XLT cabinets for Bergantino AEs and haven't regretted a thing. Both my ears and my back thank me at every gig.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    They're fabulous. So light.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm enjoying my G-K Neo 112s.

11. Yango

Yango

I'm really diggin' my 12" Mesa Scout cabs. They're light, and sound amazingly huge. My Walkabout Scout combo weighs less than my Eden 2x10 cab did!

12. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I have both neo and ceramic drivers in my cabs. Neo woofers and ceramic mid drivers. I couldn't be happier with the sound. (Which I attribute to the overall design, not the magnet materials.)

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    This ^^

I have speakers of both types and both are good at what they do. I do still look for ceramic midranges if I can find ones that have the desired performance I'm looking for. Neo can get higher performance out of speakers, but for small drivers, I don't see paying the premium if there is a ceramic counterpart that is up to snuff. Paying for increased performance......yes. Just to shave a pound or 2 off an already small driver....no.

14. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

I picked up an Ampeg PN-210HLF to pair with the 7PRO head and my Eden Metro.

Love it. The sound is pure Ampeg and it is a rugged little beast at 40 lbs.

15. Mike in Chicago

See, i love the sound but i cant get over the "if it doesnt weigh a ton its gotta be flimsy mentality". The Av cab is fantastic built like iron. Its really strange. I know avatar has had the neo speaker designed for them with more of a "travel" for the cone... I went to a audition the other day and used a 410 Neo they had...I will not name the company but it was light as a feather and sounded really thin, not so the avatar.

16. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    It is a little weird at first when you expect a heavy lift and then the cab almost flies off the floor. :)

17. mrwink

mrwink

I've been a fan of NEO 12's for a while now... sure, they're light, but the sound great too!

My main rig now days is a GB shuttle 6.0/12T with a GK NEO112 below it. I've also got a GK NEO 412 that I'd like to sell but haven't got around to yet... it's way too much cab for most of the stuff I do!

18. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

GK Neos work for me. I'm currently using 2 212s. I like the even, hi-fi response, tight low end and great punch I'm getting. I've previously used a GK Neo 410 and a 115 -- separately and together. The 410 is boomier with more low end, and it's loud. The 115 is clear and well defined, but (for me) lacks that punch. Together, the 410 and 115 gave me a lot of "bad rooms."

19. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller Supporting Member

Gk Neo here too. 112 for small and 412 for large. Best value dollar to sound ratio, especially used.

20. pedulla1

pedulla1 Supporting Member

I'm using 2 gk 210 neos and love the tone and sound. Very warm and lightweight of course. I usually run my volume on svt 7-pro a little less than half way.

21. klokker

klokker

GB neox 212t. Couldn't be happier. Well, if I could get an GB nx2 I'd be happier..........otherwise neo's forever.