1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Neodymium n35

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wolfmaster19, Sep 30, 2013.

1. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Ok so ive decided to wind my own pu's for a project and i'd like to experment with neodymium.. to be specific i'd like to wind a Wal styled pickup.. You get the idea..

I happed to have some poles of about 3mm diameter and 13mm thickness lying around that read about 2700 gauss

Since i happen to have read alnicos spand from 700 to 900 and ceramics go from 900 to 1100..

I was looking to get some input about the effect of using such high gauss neodymium poles would have on that pu design..

I'm already set on making the bobbins narrower and winding each to about 7000 winds so as to roll a few highs off such a high gauss magnet but i'm not sure if that's how i should proceed??
  2. MPU

MPU

I've used small N35 discs (5mmx2mm) or blocks (25mmx6mmx2mm for two poles) to power steel pole pieces and they worked fine. Once I used 5mm N35 rods on multicoils and the sound was very harsh. So far I've most liked the sound of multicoil pickup when using steel poles with ceramic bars under them.
    Marko
  3. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Ok i better get some slugs in there, dont want it sounding to harsh, since it'll be for a 5 stringer..

Thanks

Edit: btw how would i make it to be humbucking that way ?? Just winding each couple of bobbins in opposite ?? And the disks would have to be |N| - |S| oriented ??
  4. MPU

MPU

One row of coils in cw and N up, other row ccw and S up for example. Wired either one row in series and rows in series ("old" Wal) or pair per string in series and pairs parallel ("new" Wal).
  5. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

So what thickeness should i go with for the magnets if i plan to get steel poles with 5mm diameter and 17mm thickeness?

What would you suggest.. 1, 3 or 5mm ??

Im thinking 1mm would be to weak? And 5mm to strong.. Maybe in between?

Also im worried if the magnets would interfere with each other if they are to strong..
  6. MPU

MPU

I'd buy 1mm and stack them to the pole if needed.
    Marko
  7. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

I used a stack of N32 polepieces on a Waloid pickup. Sounded good to me, not too harsh. Shows that N35 may be a tad too much.
  8. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Thanks guys i appreciate it :)