Nepotism in Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by powderfinger, Mar 4, 2014.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

So who all do you guys believe only "made it" to the big-time due to having had a famous brother/sister/father/mother/etc.? In other words.... who do you guys consider the Frank Stallone of the music world?

My #1 is definitely going out to Donnie Vandt of 38 Special. After watching a concert clips of him, I've come to the conclusion his main thing is running around with a mic stand while the lead singer actually sings.

#2 might have to go out to Sean Lennon. Julian was bearable (enough), but I hate to say... Sean Lennon just doesn't do anything for my ears, but make them ache. Not as bad as his mother, but bad enough.

#3- Miley Cyrus. Just because.

2. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Dweezil, though he's certainly a massive talent and would have eventually made it, but I think the Zappa name absolutely jump started his career.

Wolfgang Van Halen.

3. JimK

JimK

...reading One Way Out by Alan Paul.
    Somewhere early on in the book, Greg Allman sez he was glad his last name was "Allman".
    ;)

4. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

I think Robin Thicke had a few doors opened for him.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Waspinators

Waspinators

Kelly Osbourne and Lisa Marie Presley.

7. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

8. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Gold Supporting Member

I seem to recall Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson both having little sisters riding on their coat tails? And neither of the rides lasting very long?

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Yeah, Ashley Simpson was hot for a moment until that prerecorded snafu incident on SNL! Probably killed her career!

10. Milk

Milk

So did Hillary duff's (remember her?) sister, Nick Carter's brother, the list goes on and on. Generally the ******** an artist you are the more you're bound to be guilty of nepotism. Generally. there are exceptions.

Hell Mark Whalberg has a career because his brother was in NKOTB.

Also Frank Stallone is the Frank stellone of the music world isn't he? He's still mainly a singer. Though I think he was doing it before Stallone hit it big, and he also never made it.

There's this French singer people here wont likely know but anyway, he's always been big in the French speaking world, his name is Renaud (been around since the 70's). Well I was watching an interview with his brother (who's made a career writing books about his famous sibling, he's written 7) and he revealed that in the 80's when he came out with a record of his own, Renaud spent 100 000$ of his own pocket to nip his brother's music career in the bud. You gotta admire that. It's the opposite of nepotism. "You're not riding my coattails, suck it!" To be fair, I heard an excerpt of his brother's songs and they were terrible and lame.

The worst case of nepotism in recent history is Jaden and Willow Smith. Some years ago I was sympathetic towards Will smith. he completely anhiliated all of that goodwill when he started pushing his kids on us. I mean they were almost still toddlers when he started doing it. And look where this is going... Nobody went to see After Earth, and Willow Smith's "music career" seems to have pretty much stalled. The whole thing about her dropping out of Annie...no, she got pushed out but they tried to make it look good and said it was her decision. This is one of my favorite picture on the internet:

[​IMG]

It was supposed to be a trilogy too...now I doubt we'll see another one, thank god.

11. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

John and Paul's kids? They're both talented though haven't exactly had stellar music careers, but I'm not sure they would have had any success if they weren't Lennons and McCartneys.

And I think the same goes for Yoko's "musical" career.

12. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Gold Supporting Member

If we're including actors now too, I'll see your Jaden and Willow Smith and raise you Jim Belushi.

Worst case of nepotism in recorded history.

13. powderfinger

powderfinger

Frank Stallone was indeed a singer. I think he got a boost appearing in cameos in the first couple Rocky movies (Sly Stallone used some of his songs in the films and on the soundtrack). Eventually, Frank tried his hand at action films too. I think they were all pretty much 1-2 star, straight to VHS films though.

14. Milk

Milk

Oh wow. I didn't know that. Now im curious...........

15. bswag

bswag "What's the ugliest part of your body?" Supporting Member

Repeat after me: "Nancy Sinatra!"

However- With the able help of Lee Hazlewood, Nancy waxed some truly bizarre tune-age ("Some Velvet Morning," eg.) as well as twisted pop ("These Boot Are Made for Walkin'," a fetishist's dream in audio). And, well, take a good look at the album cover for the "Boots" LP, and tell me if she wasn't the original punky girl?

leehazlewoodmusic.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/NancySinatraBoots.jpg

16. JimK

JimK

In Rocky-
    Frank Stallone had a cameo as one of the South Philly guys singing on the corner.
    ...IIRC, Rocky sez something to him & he replies back.

Speaking of something that shoulda went straight to video-
    Staying Alive (sequel to Saturday Night Fever). I do recall Frank Stallone having a tune from that...got airplay, too, IIRC.

17. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Ziggy Marley

Shooter Jennings

18. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    George W. Bush, there is no way he would have had so many platinum releases without his dad's illustrious collaborations with Mitch Miller.

19. InQuiet

InQuiet Supporting Member

Natalie Cole always comes to mind. She can sing a little, but without the name she'd be working Holiday Inns.

20. fraublugher

fraublugher

Don't forget the flip side -George and Ira Gershwin , the Pocaro brothers (Toto?), Cannonball Adderly and his Brother, .....

21. Richland123

Richland123

Wilson Phillips - Carnie Wilson, Wendy Wilson and Chynna Phillips. The Wilsons are the daughters of Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys, while Phillips's parents are John Phillips and Michelle Phillips of The Mamas & the Papas.

Nelson - Matthew and Gunnar Nelson (twin sons of Ricky Nelson and Kristin Nelson).