1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Never Had This Problem Before

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by howlin, Nov 28, 2012.

1. howlin

howlin

I recently put some LaBella 760FL flatwounds on my P-bass. They are really nice sounding and the tension isn't too bad but I'm probably going to have to change them out due to the fact that my fingers seem to get "hung up" and drag on the strings, especially when I'm trying to make a quick transition from the low notes to the the high notes or visa versa. My hands perspire very little but that little bit of perspiration seems to be enough to cause a problem.

Its very weird and the only other time I ever had a similar problem like this was when I first strung up my bass with a set of D'Addario half-rounds. For the first week or 2 my fingers would seem to get caught in the windings just enough to make them stick for a second. Also very weird.

Before I try something else I may give some string lube product a try but I'm not to keen on doing that as the neck is oil finished and I'm not sure how that will work out. Anyone else ever have this problems with flats or any type of string for that matter? If so, any suggestions?
  2. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

This so called sticky feel is normal for new flatwounds. As I don't like this as well, I always prepare a new set of flatwounds before I put them on the bass. I give them an extra polish with very fine Scotch Brite abrassive pads (the grey ones). After having done so, I clean them thoroughly with alcohol. This makes them very smooth, not being sticky anymore.
  3. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

It's also more prevalent in areas with humidity.
  4. soulman969

soulman969

If it's happening with every string you try it sounds like the problem is more with your hands than the strings. Have you tried some powder to absorb the perspiration?