1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Never seen this problem before

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pills Are Yummy, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Hi tv, I desperately need your help

I've installed a Spector tone pump into my NS4 using EMG P/J's, and while the e and a string sound fine, I'm getting almost no signal out of my d and g strings. I checked the wiring diagram and did everything right. Suggestions?
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Bring it to someone who knows what they're doing.

:)
  3. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work Supporting Member

Is this an issue with both or one pickup? If its just the P can you test the DG side with a multimeter?
  4. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

No multimeter
  5. KramerDon

KramerDon

I think EMG's are one of the few pickups that actually are active as opposed to normal pickups being active because the preamp boosts them.Maybe this is causing a problem? I'm not claiming to be knowledgable by any means,just trying to help!
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Sounds like the D and G side of your P pickup is not working.
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yep, exactly.
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Yep

If I am not mistaken, EMG P pickup coils are parallel instead of series like most P pickups. Which would make it possible for just one half to go out.
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

is this a newer EMG set? have you tested the P by itself, vs the P and J together?

the new ones clip the two halves of the P pickup together; check under the P pickup that the little jumper is still connecting the two halves together, and that it's not accidentally inserted backwards.
  10. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

No, it's the stock pickups from 1999. For some reason, the controls don't seem to do anything at all. I can't even turn down the volume. Still get a pretty sweet *** tone though.

Did the ones in 99 do this? Which jumper? I doubt that's the problem, I just removed the EMG BTC pre in there and replaced it with the spector tonepump, I didn't mess with the pickups at all.
  11. walterw

uh, then by definition i'm afraid you didn't.

since you've got multiple problems here, it may be time to get it looked at.

(also, i don't think in '99 they had the removable clip leads on the pickups, so that's probably not the issue.)
  12. spaz21387

spaz21387

+1... Find a good shop in your area.
  13. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

14. walterw

"bump" what?

did you ever get it looked at?