new 2012 American jazz .. has hum/buzz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lifeson70, Feb 7, 2013.

1. lifeson70

lifeson70

I just got my bass today.2012 Fender American Standard Jazz Bass . I love it.. but it has a humming noise and or buzz. my other bass a Jackson concert bass that has active emg pick ups doesn't buzz on either of my amps. Ampeg 350t or 1973 bassman 100. i treid the ground switches and it does get quieter.

if i turn the controls different ways it get a little louder. the buzz does get quieter when i touch the strings.
    is this something i should be concerned about? it is not real loud but i hear it when i am not playing.
    Should I return it? I bought it from Musician Freinds.
    Thanks for any help.
  2. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

does it still hum even when both volume knobs are set the same?
  3. lifeson70

lifeson70

i just checked it at different settings and it almost disappears when the two are the same setting(you can still hear it a little bit though). you hear is more when the are set differently .
  4. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

This is normal though
    It should be almost silent when both are set the same like fully on.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

yeah that's normal for a Jazz, single coil pickups hum. When the two volumes are set the same it's essentially a wide spaced parallel wired humbucker so the hum goes away. Turn one down and the hum will return
  7. lifeson70

lifeson70

Ok, I just messed with it some more. When i have the all the way up i have a buzz, but when i touch the strings it almost go away completely.(like a ground problem.) Turning the tone back helps too..
    i think i have had buzz noise like that before when my gibson explorer with humbuckers in it,until i put emgs in it.

my Jackson concert bass with emgs doesn't buzz at all..

I just wanted to see if this was a normal thing with the 2012 mia jazz bass.with these pick-ups I love the bass!! and it sounds awesome!!I really dont want to go through the hassle of sending it back.. She is beautiful and I dont want to let her go!! haha :hyper:
  8. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

EMGs aren't grounded like regular passive pickups so you'll never get ground hum from them
  9. lifeson70

lifeson70

Ok, Thank you for the info and the reply.. I can just relax now and go practice! haha

You were a great help!
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You can remove the hum if you give the bass a proper shielding job as it is getting outside interference right now. It is a shielding issue that is extremely common on all Fenders. Some folks call it the Fender hiss.

Active pickups are way less likely to have hum in my experience, in fact I have never seen any active basses hum.

If you touch metal/strings/bridge and the noise goes away you have a shielding issue.

If you touch metal/strings/bridge and the noise gets louder you have a grounding issue.
  11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

those pups are worth it, IMO!:)
  12. Troph

Troph

Search for threads about Jazz bass shielding. There are several. (Avoid the threads about "star grounding", as they'll make your head spin and won't accomplish anything.)
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member