1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New 2014 Warwick fortress limited edition #005!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamminology101, Feb 20, 2014.

1. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    I just purchased the new warwick fortress lim edt 2014 with nordy fat stacks and warwicks own MEC 3 stage preamp with push/pulls for active/passive, respectively, and for mid shift @250/800hz. Roasted maple 2 octave fretboard with jazz like 1.5" nut and neck width(c shape). The body is 2/3 ash with really cool poplar on top with knot like holes which some of the bigger knots go all the way to the backing ash. The neck is warwicks famous 5 piece wenge and the headstock has the same top as the body. Ill be doing a little review on it after I have played it in a band setting because thats getting down to the brass tax. Here in my studio the thing sounds stunning which I have been playing it through both a glockenkkang heartrock and an svt cl heritage both hooked up to a slant back fridge. The bass with the lower output fat stacks really loves starts to come alive when played through a rig that has balls. If you have any ? just fire away...

Attached Files:

2. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Oh I forgot to mention this is the most comfortable bass that has ever hung from my neck...the extended horn goes all the way to the 11th fret with the straplocks and hangs with like a 20 degree slant up from horizontal in reference to the headstock.

3. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    You can see how far the horn goes compared to regular warwicks...which has always been a bit of a turnoff.

Attached Files:

4. The Wiz

The Wiz Supporting Member

Holy! Thats beautiful.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

There are holes in it! Just kidding man, nice bass.

7. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Wow that's beautiful and it is really cool to see Warwick using Nordstrand and roasted maple wood. They still keep pushing things. Great company and awesome bass.

8. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Yeah nordy is not their norm and only avail special order thru the custom shop or on this limited run that the cs made. The tone and playability are unbelievable and its the first Warwick that the neck doesnt stickout a mile from your body..its actually a fret higher than a fender(11th)...

9. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Yup, there were some termites in my case when I got it....lol

10. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Congrats. I wanted one of those really, really badly back when they still made them as a regular production model and I want one of these reissues (or whatever they call them) even more but I can't afford it....Oh well, hope you enjoy it. It looks killer.

Also, how would you say it compares tonally to the original (if you ever played one)?

11. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    The nordy is far more smooth, fat, and detailed but in an organic kinda way. Its less aggressive growly than most MEC stuff, but more fat and creamy and less harsh than a single coil but still old school like. It is a passive pickup and has a fsirly low output compared to my other basses, but when you turn up the juice and give the oickup some thunp she starts to really shine. This is the kind of pickup that the louder uou play it the more it starts to fill out and separate itself from the pack. Its definitely in a class of its own, in a surprisingly good way. The MEC preamp seems perfect, not too powerful ala its 9v preamp but has plenty of boost and the adjustment Q mid switch connected to a pot is some real useful tone shaping. The boosts @ mid are at 250k and 800khz....250k is so close to the bass freq that it gets pretty dark and I suspect 95% of owners will have it on800. I would of like to see a split like at 500k and 800k. The treble says boost is at 5k but it sounds higher on the bass and definitely needs to be taken down a few thousand to sound useful with fingers.

12. TinIndian

TinIndian

First off, Beautiful bass! Congrats!

I have a 96 Fortress Masterman that I love. You're right about the way that bass hangs. Very comfortable. I'll bet yours sounds awesome with the Nordy's.

There is a small Fortress group on here, Fortress Footmen. Check it out.

13. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Thx...I will have to check out the forum/club. I have never played the older fortresses, did they have the standard MEC active pickups most of the stuff had back then?

14. dje31

dje31

Sweet score! Is it too crass to ask what you paid for it?

15. Wallace320

Wallace320

Yeah: I always keep 250hz (or sometimes less) on midfreq
    'cause it's really close to midscoop in a way

Nordstrand stay close to "Jazz bass singles with no hum" so sure you can reach for a very classy sound on its ash body

Great score man, happy for ya

Cheers,
    Wallace

16. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    They ask like $3800 but you could probably get it around $3500 if you try. It is hard to say though because they are only releasing a certain amount in the U.S. and I know there is a list of dudes wanting them which are available in both 4 and 5 strings. Both the 4 and 5 string were at the NAMM show and some cat from new york bought the 5er and I bought this one which were display models at the warwick booth. I think they are releasing some for us delivery in april or may if I heard right. I couldn't wait so I took the test model everyone put there hands on....aint no shame in my game...lol

17. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Oh and forget about worrying about the slap tone..it is ridiculous!!! Has that patented "dry" warwick tone but no glass. Note articulation is so good and the thing plays so quiet it almost prompts you to add mid instead of scoop it for slap. You know the fine line between dull and non responsive and over powerful, ear splitting, and honky for slap...this thing slides right there in the sweet spot. I must reiterate that on a lower powered amp that goes loud but has no depth and separation this pickup/preamp combo may come off has less than impressive but when connected to a REAL rig it absolutely kills. Its like when you tryout a bass at the local music store and have it in a little combo and get it home and you cant stop grinning the more watts you throw at it...I am truly blown away by this axe...

18. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

the knot holes make me uncomfortable, must be my trypophobia

19. Rosebud

Rosebud Supporting Member

20. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Haha...in person they actually look and feel pretty neat. I have never seen a wood used on a guitar or bass like it. It is really almost artful in a cool way, along with the marbel swirls on it...

21. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Break out the marshmallows for the roast!!!!

Attached Files: