1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

new 3leaf preamp!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Jul 1, 2012.

1. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Very interesting. I'm also curious about the center frequencies.
  3. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch Supporting Member

looks cool . . . can't wait to hear it
  4. Pollinator95

Pollinator95

I think Spencer didn't want to disclose the center freqs because he wanted people to think of the EQ in a more musical than technical way. Or something like that.
  5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes he said here that it's a broad tone-shaping EQ, not a "surgical" one; and I'd suggest he adds that to the product description.
  6. René_Julien

René_Julien

So maybe the mid switch switches between broad low-mids tone and high-mids tone???
    No mid-mids?
  7. Adrisss

Adrisss

I think he said on another thread that all the EQ was selected by ear.

So it's not like low or high mids but more something like 2 good mids freqs. I guess he selected them for being good in covering most basses types and playstyles.
  8. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

well someone could always buy it and map the eq curves on a computer! :D
  9. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Supporting Member

Well unfortunately for you I have one and can't use my words. I jack up normal conversations with craziness that people don't get, so you can imagine me with the ol' technical jargon.

But anyway.....I Like it, a LOT. I needed it for help getting back into practicing in a new apartment. I don't want to become THAT guy already. It's bad enough I have full sleeves (both arms and legs), chest panel, side panel and now he is the guy that rumbles the building. But I do play through my rig, just a little more aware of things than mu old living arrangements. See what I mean??

With headphones (Brainwavz HM5) and PC set-up it sounds great.The ability to use a mixed signal of either music or drum/music tracks through reason has been a huge boost in my playing/practice regimen.

The Deep switch is nice (I leave it mostly on) and definitely adds some oomph.

The mid switch is, um............nice??? I find that I prefer this in the UP position for either cutting or boosting depending on what I'm looking for sound wise. I am not sure why. Logic would say that the up position is upper mids and down position would be lower mids??? I found that boosting with the mids in down position to be kinda muddy and just not (sonically) my taste.
    This all rings true through my home rig: LMIII / Avatar SB112 (neo). I found at modest settings toggling between having the Enabler on/off that the sound had a nice subtle "sheen" to it and that I liked it. I also found it handy on the TOP of my amp using it to reign in some of the volume spikes from the pedalboard. It's a tad more convenient to look down and adjust then bend over the front of the amp. A very small, but useful surprise.

I don't know, this is just a pre-coffee/awaiting for my morning meds to kick in post. This pedal is really working in a few ways for me and I am very pleased with the purchase.
  10. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Anyone else got one? Really considerig using this for some bass playing on the go and maybe some recording...
  11. JacobWhaler

JacobWhaler

I like it! I heard the envelope filter from this company before, they make cool stuff![​IMG]
  12. NeroJazz

NeroJazz Supporting Member

The Enabler #003 is IN!

I bought it to replace my EBS MicroBass II, not because the MicroBass was a bad unit, it just had more features than I would ever use.
    The Enabler has all of the features I ever used when I had the MicroBass.

dharmashawn sums up the features quite nicely. It sounds really good, clear and transparent. I'm never letting this one go.

If you need an EQ, DI, pre-amp, headphone-amp or just a practice tool, then this is something for you!
  13. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I wonder how the preamp/DI of this compares to others. I think I may be interested in this as well.
  14. metalinthenight

metalinthenight Supporting Member

This thin definitely has my attention, though I'm not sure how much of the feature set I would honestly put to use (aux in for instance).

I really am curious how the gain or drive sounds with this thing. Does it have grind/dirt at all? Or does it stay pretty clean?

Also, which side is the XLR jack on? I couldn't tell from the photos.
  15. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I demand sound clips, and moar PICTURES!

Pretty please? :D
  16. dharmashawn

Clean, clean, and more clean. It is not that kinda gain knob. DI is on the right side. I put this last and get dirt elsewhere. Primarily a Frequency Central OD and the super awesome BDPG at the end right before the enabler.
  17. dharmashawn

Pics?? What do you want to see??
  18. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

An extremely detailed slideshow of you turning the knobs sounds good. :p
  19. Spencer!

Spencer! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Stompbox designer/builder for 3Leaf Audio & Darkglass Electronics
    No dirt/overdrive - there are plenty of pedals which do that well. I designed the Enabler to provide a killer headphone amp and direct output, with broad tone shaping to compliment that.
  20. Spencer!

Spencer! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Stompbox designer/builder for 3Leaf Audio & Darkglass Electronics
    I'll try to get some better pictures up on my website soon. I've been thinking about doing a video, but I'm not sure how to go about it when most of the features (headphone section, DI, etc.) are things that can only be experienced firsthand.