New 8250-5Ms for a '99 Fender Jazz V?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jsegovia, Oct 25, 2013.

1. jsegovia

jsegovia

I've got a 1999 Fender Jazz Bass V that I love but I need new strings. I want the classic Fender growl and a nice middling level of brightness and punch but not too much. I'm not Mark King or a funk player, I play classic rock and I also like, depending on how I pick, to be able to play ballads or get a round jazzy tone when I need to. I especially like the bass tone of the first Police and Pretender albums.

I've heard very good things about the older Fender 8250-5Ms but I've also heard bad things about the new ones. The '99 is strung ONLY through the body so I need a string that's going to be easy to load through the bridge and a good length for the all left-strung '99 headstock. Will the new 8250-5Ms work well with the '99?

I know lots of people prefer the 7250-5Ms. Is the only difference that the low B and E string on the 82s are tapered for through the body loading? Is there any tone difference?

Thanks!

Jesse
  2. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

The 8250s are the ones that come on new American Standards. Well I know that everyone is different and strings are subjective, but I just bought a new MIA Standard Precision V and the strings that came with it were some of the worst I've tried in a long time! They have these awful overtones that are almost as loud as the note itself! I was actually worried that the bass was defective! It was so bad that I refused to play the bass until my string order came in. After I loaded my new strings, the bass sounded great!

You can find plenty of other string brands that will work for what you've described (even better than Fender). Here are some that I've tried that will work for classic rock and jazzy stuff (not including flats because it sounds like you prefer rounds):

-DR Sunbeams
    -DR Lo Riders
    -D'Addario XL

Those will definitely work, and I'm sure other people can suggest strings, too. But if you must go with Fender, good luck. :D
  3. jsegovia

jsegovia

Thanks very much for the reply. The strings that are in it now have been on for a very long time but I think they're DRs. When I first got them there were really bright - it sounded like Mark King (Mark King is a great bassist but I just don't want to sound like that). No one nearby has the 8250-5Ms in stock and I was gong to order a set but between shipping and tax a $21 set of strings now costs $28 which is still a great price for a good set of strings, but at that price I'm getting closer to the price of some of those DRs you mention. Maybe I'll see which of these strings are in stock locally and try a set.

Thanks!

Jesse