1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

New Active Preamp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cgtygzl, Dec 18, 2013.

1. cgtygzl

cgtygzl

Dec 18, 2013
    I just bought an active pre-amp which contains bass-mid-trebb-vol-tone pots, active-passive switch and mid on/off switch. I can't decide which guitar of mine I should set it up.I have an Ibanez EDB 555 Fretless and Yamaha BBN4II (ebony fretboard). ( or in a specific question: Yamaha is a bit mid charactered, with this pre-amp can I handle with mid's?) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Uh, it would probably help if you told us what preamp it is. It is a bit like asking 'What car will this engine fit in, a VW Beetle or a Chevy pickup?' without knowing what engine it is.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. cgtygzl

cgtygzl

Dec 18, 2013
    It's a handmade preamp, don't have brand or smth.

5. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    It'll be very hard to figure out what the preamp sounds like if it's not a known type.

Could you post a photo of the board? Someone might have seen something similar. That way we could at least make an informed guess.

6. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I think your only solution is to try it and find out. :)

7. cgtygzl

cgtygzl

Dec 18, 2013
    added the photos.

@BFunk I agree, thanks for helps :)

8. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    ick!

No idea (though someone else might have). Hope you didn't pay too much, though.

9. cgtygzl

cgtygzl

Dec 18, 2013
    It's about $50 (in my country not much for a pre-amp) I'll try on the guitar, thanks a lot everyone!

10. This was my initial thought as well. If my screen is correct there are a number of BAD solder joints throughout. Id have to recommend you resolder those before trying to install it. This is a nightmare waiting to happen in all honesty.

11. cgtygzl

cgtygzl

Dec 18, 2013
    @LightGroove Thank you, I got this thing today I will resolder and share the results when I install.